Lectrosonics Transmitter squeal

chickaboom

I have noticed this occasionally on my smqv's and I traced it down to a faulty rechargeable battery. Replaced the battery and problem went away. Not saying it is what's happening to you but it's something to check. I'd also clean the battery contacts and possibly apply some silver paste to the battery door screw per Lectrosonics. 

Good luck!

Hi Chickaboom, 

One thing to test is to turn off remote response (RC off) in that transmitter and see if the whine goes away.

Where to find that is in the Power button menu, Remote, Ignore. 

If so, then there are some hardware updates that need to be done on that unit.

We can do those here at the Lectrosonics HQ - it would be considered an extended warranty issue. 

22 hours ago, karlw said:

Hi Chickaboom, 

One thing to test is to turn off remote response (RC off) in that transmitter and see if the whine goes away.

Where to find that is in the Power button menu, Remote, Ignore. 

If so, then there are some hardware updates that need to be done on that unit.

We can do those here at the Lectrosonics HQ - it would be considered an extended warranty issue. 

What Karl mentioned here was definitely the fix for me. I discovered this myself and called Lectro personally to let them know (may not have been the first or the last to do so) but was never offered a hardware upgrade under an extended warranty :(.. maybe it was too early on to be sure on their part(still love you guys). Either way, my testing when I had this issue led to the discovery that only my older wires that were wired with the "Universal" pinout had this issue. All other lavs wired with the "servo" pinout could have the RC on without any issues. Hope this helps

On 10/27/2020 at 9:12 AM, THSnodgrass said:

What Karl mentioned here was definitely the fix for me. I discovered this myself and called Lectro personally to let them know (may not have been the first or the last to do so) but was never offered a hardware upgrade under an extended warranty :(.. maybe it was too early on to be sure on their part(still love you guys). Either way, my testing when I had this issue led to the discovery that only my older wires that were wired with the "Universal" pinout had this issue. All other lavs wired with the "servo" pinout could have the RC on without any issues. Hope this helps

THS - if this was early enough in the "discovery process" (figuring out the cause) then yes, it's possible that the hardware fix had not yet been developed and thus there was no warranty work to correct it. But, you bring up a good point about the wiring - different lav mic wiring schemes show a lot of variation in this problem. And, you are correct that the "servo only" wiring schemes (figs 9, 10 and 11 on this page) do not exhibit the issue. Since the "universal" wiring allows wiring of transmitters that were made pre-2005, I would suggest to everyone to use the servo-only wiring unless you have older transmitters. Servo-only wiring is generally quieter overall as well.

https://www.lectrosonics.com/Support/Microphone-Wiring/uhf-transmitter-5-pin-input-jack-wiring.html