Sound Devices 833 - problem with SSD during playback

Lachlan Coles

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems during playback from SSD with their 833 - I’m up to date with software version 7.10 but I’m getting the error “Problem with SSD during play”. I reformatted the drive but it’s still occurring - any thoughts, experiences from anyone using the 833 appreciated.

E498E7A1-10DA-405F-A863-5600A624A88A.jpeg

6 hours ago, Lachlan Coles said:

was wanting to get a sense of whether it’s an issue with just my 833 (faulty SSD perhaps) or whether it’s more widespread.

Haven't had that particular issue with my 833, but I know of someone locally with a Scorpio who had the same issue. Kinda disappointing, as you'd hope Sound Devices' own SSD would be the most reliable of the three media?

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

as you'd hope Sound Devices' own SSD would be the most reliable of the three media?

I‘d also hope that you don’t jump to conclusions prematurely all the time. So far this seems like 2-3 reported cases out of how many units sold? Statistically that’s almost negligible 

On 10/31/2020 at 9:54 PM, IronFilm said:

Haven't had that particular issue with my 833, but I know of someone locally with a Scorpio who had the same issue. Kinda disappointing, as you'd hope Sound Devices' own SSD would be the most reliable of the three media?

Like you, I’d have thought the SSD would be the most robust too, but that has given me the thought of switching to one of the SD cards for playback and seeing if I have a similar issue. Re. the Scorpio, did the drive get replaced and did it solve the issue?

22 hours ago, Constantin said:

I‘d also hope that you don’t jump to conclusions prematurely all the time. So far this seems like 2-3 reported cases out of how many units sold? Statistically that’s almost negligible 

Over the years I’ve owned the mix pre, the 744T with a 442, the 552, the 664 (still) and now the 833 and I’ve not had a problem with any of them - this is the first. As far as reliable location mixers go, I think Sound Devices make some great gear.

Best Wishes.