DPA 4017B Noise

tolachi

I purchased a used 4017B and have had this horrible noise occur intermittently with it the 2 times I have used it (see attached wav file). Currently it is out for repair with DPA. They have found "something loose" in the mic but believe this artifact is "digital wireless interference". I'm doubtful of this explanation as our gear is the mic, a MixPre-3, and canare L-4e6s cables. One location was in a private home, the other a field on the outskirts of a rural town with nobody else collecting any media at either. The 2nd time we swapped the 4017b for a cs3e and had no more issues that day.

I love the sound except for this issue and would love to find a way to salvage the mic.

Any suggestions?

DPA Mic Issue Sample.wav

I‘m unable  to download the file at the moment, but digital wireless interference can also be caused by other gear on set, such as a Teradek (although I have never actually had digital interference from a Teradek), or a phone. If it were some of your gear the noise probably wouldn’t be intermittent, whereas with other gear it comes and goes as you move closer and further away. 

I have three 4017s and none of them is prone to any kind of rfi. 

22 minutes ago, tolachi said:

Thanks! There is literally no other gear on set and the noise came and went while stationary (in the middle of an interview). A cell phone is the only possibility, but it seems strange that it wouldn't be more consistent. 

I have a 4017b that I had to send in for repair. my noise problem was something loose inside that was only noticeable during swinging boom versus stationary. They did repair under warranty but it took a while unfortunately. But i do love that mic and felt it was worth the wait. Your issue sounds in the same realm of possibility?

Sorry i jumped the gun just got to listen to the file. That is much more than i was experiencing which was more like The audible click of a loose element or something versus hard-core interference. But if it helps the customer service I experienced in the transaction of my repair was outstanding

15 hours ago, azw said:

I've had two B preamps and both went back for repairs for weird low level noise. I gave up. Switched to the C. No problems.

I had low level weirdness, too, on one of my preamps, but it was the C preamp. After sending it back and forth a few times it eventually worked. 
It‘s worth bearing in mind that the 4017B requires 4.5mA, and some transmitters only provide 4mA. In practice that shouldn’t matter much, but it could contribute to the issue. The C preamp only draws 2.8mA...

On 11/3/2020 at 5:44 PM, tolachi said:

I purchased a used 4017B and have had this horrible noise occur intermittently with it the 2 times I have used it (see attached wav file). Currently it is out for repair with DPA. They have found "something loose" in the mic but believe this artifact is "digital wireless interference". I'm doubtful of this explanation as our gear is the mic, a MixPre-3, and canare L-4e6s cables. One location was in a private home, the other a field on the outskirts of a rural town with nobody else collecting any media at either. The 2nd time we swapped the 4017b for a cs3e and had no more issues that day.

I love the sound except for this issue and would love to find a way to salvage the mic.

Any suggestions?

DPA Mic Issue Sample.wav 7.41 MB · 17 downloads

Sounds like a bad ground.  Something loose could certainly cause a noise like this.