High noise floor of Deity Connect ?

madno

I compared Deity Connect with RodeLink Filmmaker and Sennheiser EW 100 G2.

Issue with the Deity is the high noise floor compared to the others (even with the W.Lav Pro). I tried with line and xlr out and a multitude of gain settings. Interface is an RME UFX+.

Does somebody here use the Connect and also get this?

I am not sure if I have a faulty or "lemmon" set. As it is I don't like to use it for interview in a quite environment because the noise is just to obvious.

Still testing. Found out that the mW settings are part of the noise. At 25 mW I get a high pitched extra noise on top of the normal one. Seems so at 100 as well. The recording was with 10mW which seems to not have that issue. Not tried 75 yet. But anyway with the kit LAV the noise is just to loud. Need to test again tomorrow with the Pro Lav and see if I can use the Connect at least with 10 mW setting.

Don't have the EW anymore as I only got it for a quick test from a rental company.

deity.flac rode.flac

Edited by madno
additional info

Attached are now deity with Pro Lav and Rode with kit lav.

deity-pro-lav.flac rode-kit-lav.flac

And below is the deity with 25mW output instead of 10 mW.

I also increased the gain on the RME. Gain was low before because the Rode was already on max. and I wanted the deity to be on the same level.

If anybody has an idea how I can get cleaner sound from the Deity please let me know. I really like the kit but fear the noise is just to high.

deity-25mW.flac

Not what you asked but my recommendation for great low budget wireless especially if you're in Germany is to get a used Sennheiser SK50 and EK3041 with a MKE-2 or better MKE-1 second hand. Much better sound, build quality and range than all the ones you mentioned, go for quite cheap used and are almost indestructible, and compatible with many other Tx/Rx.

56 minutes ago, Christian Spaeth said:

SK50 and EK3041

These things produced "noise trails"* aka "Rauschfahnen"* for me, back in the days. That can be dealt with but may raise questions in post before it is.

* I don't know better words for this. The internal gate re-initiates sluggishly, after relevant sound (e.g. speech) ends.

On 11/7/2020 at 3:42 AM, madno said:

Attached are now deity with Pro Lav and Rode with kit lav.

deity-pro-lav.flac 1.62 MB · 4 downloads rode-kit-lav.flac 1.84 MB · 4 downloads

And below is the deity with 25mW output instead of 10 mW.

I also increased the gain on the RME. Gain was low before because the Rode was already on max. and I wanted the deity to be on the same level.

If anybody has an idea how I can get cleaner sound from the Deity please let me know. I really like the kit but fear the noise is just to high.

deity-25mW.flac 4.26 MB · 4 downloads

I gave your files a listen. 

From what I can gather you're under driving your TX and pumping at your RX which is giving you horrible SNR. I had my Macbook speakers cranked and you sounded like a whisper. 

WeChatWorkScreenshot_61108a00-319e-4094-ae61-acbee16b3210.png

When I went to open your files in my DAW, both your RODELink and Deity Connect files barely registered at -30dB on the VU meter. I suspect your gain staging needs to be reworked because your coming up at least +18-25dB shy. 

Post up your:

TX Audio settings?
RX Audio Settings?
RME Gain settings? Line vs Mic too
Gain set in DAW?

Thanks for chiming in.

Connect:

TX +12 dB

RX +15 dB (out dsl iso)

(but I tried various combinations)

RME line in +4dBu

gain 6

Rode:

TX +20

RX 0 (= max)

RME line in +4dBu

gain 12 (=max)

DAW: all at 0 dB

Because the rode is already at max I adjusted the Deity accordingly.

The noise coming from the 25 mW output seems to be somethinmg different I think - it comes on top of the normal noise.

6 minutes ago, madno said:

Thanks for chiming in.

Connect:

TX +12 dB

RX +15 dB (out dsl iso)

(but I tried various combinations)

RME line in +4dBu

gain 6

Rode:

TX +20

RX 0 (= max)

RME line in +4dBu

gain 12 (=max)

DAW: all at 0 dB

Because the rode is already at max I adjusted the Deity accordingly.

The noise comming from the 25 mW output seems to be somethinmg different I think - it comes on top of the normal noise.

@madno, we are also talking via email, but since you posted here as well; You are putting a mic level (DSLR ISO) out into an line level input. That explains also the low RMS of -50dB average in the screenshot I send you. That will explain the high noise floor. You cranked way up. See your email for the other settings I adviced.
image.png

On 11/7/2020 at 11:26 PM, DanieldH said:

These things produced "noise trails"* aka "Rauschfahnen"* for me, back in the days. That can be dealt with but may raise questions in post before it is.

* I don't know better words for this. The internal gate re-initiates sluggishly, after relevant sound (e.g. speech) ends.

I am using this every day at the moment, not having this issue at all. Yours must have not been working properly. Soundwise this combo is on par with my Lectros or Wisys.

On 11/7/2020 at 11:26 PM, DanieldH said:

3 hours ago, Christian Spaeth said:

I am using this every day at the moment, not having this issue at all. Yours must have not been working properly. Soundwise this combo is on par with my Lectros or Wisys.

I've worked many years with the Sennheiser SK50-system and the noise issue most likely was due to the screws on the back of the belt packs not being 100% firm. The system is sensitive to disturbe on the virtual ground plane - at least that was what I was told by Sennheiser back in the days - which could result in noise problems like you describe.

So, once a year, I would routinely fix all screws on the fourteen systems that we were using at least two days a week, forty weeks a year. Sometimes they needed to go back to Sennheiser for routine service. The systems ran for close to twenty years with surprisingly little problems with the abuse they would receive weekly on live TV-shows, and have now been replaced by Wisycom systems.

The Sennheiser SK50 is a work horse for sure, and it sounds just fine.

Cheers

Fred

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...