Masks

codyman

With masks going to be a continuing necessity on set (for good reason) for the foreseeable future, just curious if anyone out there has found a really comfortable, reusable cloth mask.  Bonus points if it doesn't fog up sunglasses as that's been the dilemma with my current batch.  I'd like to avoid any of those "filter" masks as everyone that has shown up to set with those has been handed a paper surgical mask by the COVID compliance officer as that's a no go in terms of safety for others.

P.S. Stay safe out there everyone!

Unfortunately, a couple of the productions I’ve worked on have banned neck gators. They’ve done it for the wrong reason in that the initial tests were done with neck gators made out of spandex.

As far as glasses fogging, our entire crew has come to the conclusion that the Zeiss mask fog system is the best at keeping the glasses clear. You can get it at CVS for about $9, beware that Amazon charges anywhere from $16-$18. Try to buy it locally if you can. 🤓

Versaflex has a mask that supposedly prevents fogging. It dies work ok, but the mask is not very comfortable to me, plus the size M I got was very large, so I can’t really work with that mask. If you find the right size it may work fine. Plus you‘d be supporting one of „our“ manufacturers 

15 hours ago, codyman said:

With masks going to be a continuing necessity on set (for good reason) for the foreseeable future, just curious if anyone out there has found a really comfortable, reusable cloth mask.  Bonus points if it doesn't fog up sunglasses as that's been the dilemma with my current batch.  I'd like to avoid any of those "filter" masks as everyone that has shown up to set with those has been handed a paper surgical mask by the COVID compliance officer as that's a no go in terms of safety for others.

P.S. Stay safe out there everyone!

https://losangelesapparel.net/collections/face-masks/products/3-pack-cotton-mask?variant=31978393927742

These are the first ones I ever bought, and still the best.

Terry cloth, good for warmth!! Metal band sewn into the material for wrapping around nose.

If you get the Ash color, they have an extra layer of t-shirt material.

6 Months, once a week washing and still holding up well.

No I don't work for them, I SUPPORT MY LOCAL BUSINESSES!!!

I go filter with paper mask over. I got a Holo_Kit_600x420 copy.jpg

I'm double filtered in, and single filtered out. 

I've gotten then thumbs down wearing gator cloth mask's from production and the explanation was the nanometer of the virus particle is smaller than the woven cloth width. Made sense and I silently agreed. 

@PMC🤣

Regardless of the mask type, most of the cloth, N95 and disposable masks wrap around the ear. I just did a week of live streaming in Colorado, wearing a

mask 16 hours per day and the backs of my ears, the elastic banding rubbed the skin off until it was bleeding. I grabbed one of the velcro cable ties off

of one of my XLR cables and used it to let me run those elastic supports behind the back of my neck so the area behind my ears could heal, basically

at the same angle the illustration above in Dalton's post shows with the young lady.

Anyone else have the backs of their ears rubbed raw by the mask? It's different wearing one to duck in and out of Costco for an hour versus working on set

for 14-16 hours days.

On 11/12/2020 at 2:25 AM, Constantin said:

Versaflex has a mask that supposedly prevents fogging. It dies work ok, but the mask is not very comfortable to me, plus the size M I got was very large, so I can’t really work with that mask. If you find the right size it may work fine. Plus you‘d be supporting one of „our“ manufacturers 

They didn't work for me--still fogged.

I agree that a mask good enough for a grocery shop might not be very comfortable on a long work day, esp if you are doing some serious physical stuff.  I end up switching out various cloth masks with filters in them, but would defer to the folks doing episodics on what to use for long day/day after day use.

Here's what I've learned masks need to be comfortable enough to wear all day.

1. It must not sit on your lips. Have space between the fabric and your nostrils and lips. This feels more natural and won't muffle your speech.

2. It must has an internal or external nose guard. Many disposable masks have a wire inside to pinch around the nose. This helps glasses and shields from fogging up, and keeps the mask in place. For masks that don't have one, there are plenty of sellers online who have metal nose guards available.

3. It must not live on your ears. There are options that tie around your head and neck. There are plenty of options for moving earloops off of your ears (the Ursa Maskie, a piece of velcro, bongo ties, etc..). Getting it off your ears is more comfortable, and easier to deal with when wearing headphones or IEMs.

If you can find a mask that accomplishes all three, or if you can put together one that does, you'll be golden. Stay safe out there!

I have worn a mask for a long day and had my ears rubbed raw. For me it seems to depend on the material used for the ear loops.

Some people I saw wore these types of things:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0874Q4J3Y

I know URSA makes this:

https://ursastraps.com/product/ursa-maskies/

I’m on day 28 booming a feature. KN95 masks are provided by production. The pain is real.... the ear straps feel like they are about to saw my ears off. Literally. I put a strap around my neck similar to what Eric linked above. In my case both straps need to go below the ears. Even with something that ties them behind my neck, if the top one goes above the ears, the sawing is even worse with the added tension.

On 11/13/2020 at 2:39 PM, Philip Perkins said:

Do hospital health workers not use throw-away masks with ear loops?  Are those ear loops easier on the ears?

I have been, and still am, an ER nurse for the last 12 years. Over the last 8 months I have had more face mask time than in the 12 years before that. To answer a few questions in this thread.

1) Yes we do wear masks with ear loops in them. Usually you would wear them in you went into a room that required them, or during traumas.. Now we wear them for a 12 hours shifts every day. It leads you face swollen, embed marks on your face, destroys your ears and is generally unpleasant.

- There are straps you can buy that will keep the loops off your ears but they come with their own pressure points as well as possibly expose you to the very thing you are trying to avoid. So I used to alternate them day by day.

- Pull up scarfs are useless and have been shown multiple times over the last 8 months to be useless. regardless of what you think they will not work.

- For about $1500 - $2000 dollars you can buy a self-contained PAPR unit with a full shield face mask that seals to your face. Yes I bought one and use it a lot, especially in traumas and intubations.

- For about $40.00 you can buy a mask made by a company called Halo ( https://halolife.io ). I love these masks and regular use them. They fit well, come down below your chin, have an anti-forging strip on top and a replaceable filter in the mask. I have 7 of them and just rotate them and usually take out the filters and wash them about once a month, or 3-5 times.

Another note. N-95 masks are produced to US standards. KN95 masks are produced to worldwide standards and usually would not be used in the US.

Hope this helps everyone.

There was a study of mask wearing in Denmark saying that masks don’t protect us.   This study was conducted  April and May of this year.  The study did not test the masks directly only what happens when you advise people to wear them.  Obviously since then we have learned more about the virus.  

The CDC in the US recently clarified, that we have other evidence that masks probably benefit the wearer.

Personally I would say wear the damn mask, it can't hurt.  Might even help a bit for the common cold and flu.

• 2 weeks later...

These are by far the most comfortable (non-KN95) masks I've found:

https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=100364062&cid=1162979&pcid=1162979&vid=1&grid=pds_7_44_1#pdp-page-content

They are large enough (on me) to get the top of the mask all the way up on the bridge of my nose, so then I can get my glasses farther down on my nose so that they don't fog up. Definitely a balancing act sometimes but it works for the most part. 

-Mike

On 11/12/2020 at 11:19 AM, TVPostSound said:

https://losangelesapparel.net/collections/face-masks/products/3-pack-cotton-mask?variant=31978393927742

Terry cloth, good for warmth!! Metal band sewn into the material for wrapping around nose.

Thank you so much for these! They are just brilliant. I must have sensitive ears because an hour with a ear loop mask starts to hurt. These fit so well I don’t even need the lower straps, just the upper strap around my head. It fits perfectly and never even tries to come off. Wearing with glasses works but they must be pulled up higher than normal so it is not as comfortable. I am going to order another more.  These are great!

The Halolife ones hurt my ear skin.

On 11/12/2020 at 12:19 PM, TVPostSound said:

i just supported your local business as well and ordered a 3pack! Also ordered the zeiss fog kit from amazon. After 2x cvs’s and a walgreens With no luck, the extra fee for amazon is worth the price of admission. The fogging glasses is making me nuts which is already a short trip for me

I wanted to report back I highly recommend the zeiss fog defender system. If you follow directions seems to work perfect - clean glasses, then spray both sides and wipe dry. Keep the cloth they give you dedicated to the task and all is good! I can wear my glasses right up to my face with all verities of masks and the fog is indeed defended  

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 9:11 PM, John Blankenship said:

Re: Zeiss Fog Defender System

I'm not a big Walmart fan, but really, Amazon...? 

Amazon $ 23.37 

Walmart $  6.98 

Yeah I saw that too and instead found that CVS carries them for ~$7.50

CVS > Walmart? Meh.
Almost nothing is mom and pop anymore so it was the lesser of two evils (in my eyes). And I feel CVS is generally a safer bet with less maskholes walking around mouth-breathing for freedom. 

Cheers,

Evan

Oh— and +1 on the Zeiss fog defender. It’s amazing. I sent over a dozen of them out as holiday gifts for my spectacled friends. 

A friend of mine who is a surgeon and wears glasses (obviously he wears actual surgeon masks for surgery!  Lucky guy also just got the first dose of COVID vaccination the other day) gave me one of these for Christmas and it has been by far the most comfortable mask I've had yet.  Has an adjustable nose piece to prevent fogging too which has been working great.

https://shopspacemask.com/