Frequency range advice for Germany ?

madno

Like to get an Sennheiser EW 100 G4 set (stationary receiver + bodypack transmitter).

Used 2,4 GHz so far.

They offer the following frequency ranges for Germany:

SK 100 G4-A1   470 -  516 MHz
SK 100 G4-A     516 -  558 MHz
SK 100 G4-GB   606 -  648 MHz
SK 100 G4-G     566 -  608 MHz
SK 100 G4-B     626 -  668 MHz
SK 100 G4-C     734 -  776 MHz (not free) expected to be limited by more LTE ranges in the future.
SK 100 G4-E     823 -  865 MHz
SK 100 G4-1G8 1785 - 1800 MHz
SK 100 G4-K+   925 - 937,5 MHz

Since April 2020 all except from G4-C are license free.

Is there a range know to be better than others?

I‘ve used block C for years without any issues. Parts of it have now been reallocated to LTE, but there is also a significant duplex gap, I think from 734 to 753MHz that can be used and is fairly sage from future reallocations. 
Block GB and B have also been working ok for me, but it all depends on where In Germany you are. 

On 11/12/2020 at 8:53 PM, Constantin said:

It’s always a bit of a gamble with rf...

Absolutely. I would suggest the lowest band, that's where I find most frequencies in this area.

Btw. there are new rules in GER since april: You don't need a licence any more for your stuff, but you're only permitted to use it when you can declare that you make a living with sound. Non-pros must use other defined bands like 823 MHz, 863 MHz, 1,8 or 2,4 GHz.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, madno said:

Got an info from Sennheiser via a dealer. They suggested the E band (823 - 865 MHz) which is the gap in the LTE range.

Dunno about that. It is the free band, but it also means that anything from fire alarms to climate systems for stores etc use it. I have my ifb up there to be spaced away from talent wireless.

Same here, using the gap for IFB, but not for the other wireless.

You should know, that the gap is just between 823 Mhz and 832 Mhz (and another little gap from 862-865 Mhz, i guess), so it´s not the full E-band.

I think you also will be fine with Lectro-Blocks 22-26. A lot of free frequencies in that range and no need to have a licence anymore.

But in the end it depends, where you are. The TV-Channels are covering different frequencies in different regions...

Greetings from the south of germany

49 minutes ago, TimMey said:

You should know, that the gap is just between 823 Mhz and 832 Mhz (and another little gap from 862-865 Mhz, i guess), so it´s not the full E-band.

True. That's where most semi pro filmmakers and fixed installations (used by no professionals like e.g. in houses of worship, by hobby music bands) operate today in GER. That band is free and fine.

If they don't use old stuff 🙂

On 11/14/2020 at 11:48 AM, Mungo said:

Absolutely. I would suggest the lowest band, that's where I find most frequencies in this area.

Btw. there are new rules in GER since april: You don't need a licence any more for your stuff, but you're only permitted to use it when you can declare that you make a living with sound. Non-pros must use other defined bands like 823 MHz, 863 MHz, 1,8 or 2,4 GHz.

That’s good to know!

Do you need to make this declaration to anyone in particular, before you use the radios for example? Or just if you get stopped...?

I’m heading to Berlin next month with Wisycoms on 510-698 and 470-640...

2 hours ago, rockscottage said:

Do you need to make this declaration to anyone in particular, before you use the radios for example? Or just if you get stopped...?

No.

Yes.

The document linked above does not even mention such a declaration. It only assigns, that these 2 bands may be used for wireless mic applications on professional productions. An IEM-Tx counts as a wireless mic. Thus the licence system for a particular unit, held by a person/institution, in place before is void.

(This is all just a humble opinion and no legal advice in any way!)

My humble understanding is,

1.: they need to have some sort of regime in place to distinguish between some hobbyyoutuber/wedding videographer and "professional productions" for imaginary or real everyday issues they may face but beyond my understanding. @Mungo might have more reference on that regime.

2.: this federal agency basically says: "Go away, we don't want to run this database of car license plates for tricycles on your 50mW playground any more.

Play nice and obey these primary users, will ya!"

Check:

4 hours ago, aksanaom said:

Does anyone know what blocks are good in Berlin? 

Not very convenient to read but there is the DVB-T2 location and channel overview for Germany.

https://www.dvb-t2hd.de/files/Senderstandorte_und_Kanaele_(Stand_Februar_2019).pdf

Current source: https://www.dvb-t2hd.de/downloads

Apparently channel spacing is 8Mhz. The mid frequency of a channel is the product of the channel number and 8 in Mhz.

For Berlin, the first four Tx locations seem to be relevant.

Generally for Germany this might help to read the table: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-2:DE

On 11/30/2020 at 6:04 AM, aksanaom said:

Does anyone know what blocks are good in Berlin? 

Here is a scan from the other day close to Ostbahnhof. Quite typical, so I think there are quite a few gaps in any given block most of the time, but have a few to pick from or wideband to be safe. I run in the 600mhz range at the moment and can usually make space for a few channels, not sure if anything else is worse or better (well the free space in 800 is defenitely more dodgy, but that is to be expected) and some locations are just bad.

20201202_183208.jpg

20201202_182838.jpg