SoundBeaming — Throw away your headphones, everyone!

hobbiesodd

Obvious subject hyperbole aside, this tech is truly fantastic. The 1st link is a brief showcase and some talk from the founders. The 2nd link has more info on how it actually creates the sound pockets. 

I haven’t done a deep dive into the specs yet— I’m curious about the noise cancellation abilities. It would be great if you could dial in the immersion intensity so users can control how much of the outside world you hear... 

https://noveto.com

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

Clever, but the hype (their's, not yours) and the  reality are quite far apart. The first product they hope to deliver by December 2021 is the size of a large speakerphone. I don't think I'd trade in my earbuds for that. Based on what I see, the effective range of where your head can be is probably quite narrow.

Noveto Prototype.png

9 hours ago, Paul F said:

Clever, but the hype (their's, not yours) and the  reality are quite far apart. The first product they hope to deliver by December 2021 is the size of a large speakerphone. I don't think I'd trade in my earbuds for that. Based on what I see, the effective range of where your head can be is probably quite narrow.

Noveto Prototype.png

oh it’s far from any real dynamic applications for sure, but just wait... once this idea gets more mainstream attention, we’ll be inundated with requests for Comteks with “ear bubbles”. 

🙄

I’ve actually seen something similar working. A friend built a prototype using ultrasonic transducers and beaming an amplitude modulated 40 KHz beam. 

He considered a product for museums in which statues would “speak”. I thought it offered endless opportunities for pranks. It was rather creepy to hear a voice speaking just behind you, really close, only to turn around and see nobody!