Does the Sony UWP-D UTX-B40/21 sender have some kind of limiter ?

madno

There is a Low Cut Filter setting in the transmitter menu with settings - (from operating manual)

Setting the low-cut filter (LCF)

You can set the low-cut filter to reduce noise caused by wind. You can set the cutoff frequency to OFF/LOW/MID/ HIGH.

OFF: No filtering

LOW: 100 Hz cutoff frequency

MID: 150 Hz cutoff frequency

HIGH: 200 Hz cutoff frequency

You can download a PDF copy of the manual at - utx-b40 Manuals - Sony Pro

Thanks, found the following text (a bit shortened by me). Seems so there is some kind of limiter but ???

Adjusting the audio input attenuation level (ATTENUATOR):
You can set the audio input attenuation level in 3 dB increments to reduce noise distortion.

The factory default setting is 9 dB on the UTX-B40, and 0 dB on the UTX-M40/P40.
On the UTX-B40/P40, “---” is displayed if INPUT LEVEL is set to LINE and GAIN MODE is set to AUTO GAIN, and the attenuation level cannot be modified (fixed).

Setting the audio gain (GAIN MODE):
AUTO GAIN:

Sets the gain high, and uses a limiter to help prevent distortion.
NORMAL:

Enables adjustment of the attenuation level.
The attenuator can be adjusted to match the connected microphone.
15dB BOOST:

Boosts the gain by 15 dB for when the microphone is not near the person’s mouth and the audio level is insufficient.

After reading it I am unclear if the limiter is active if the Gain Mode is not in Auto Gain?

I read that as: Auto Gain ranges from -12 to +12 dB, and greater depending on the UTX device (see below),

Normal allows a specific setting of one value between -12 to +12 dB in 3dB steps.

I don't know if the target gain with Auto is 9db or 0dB depending on the UTX device, and if the Normal setting operates to hit that target, but that is my closest logic.  There is a greater range of actual attenuation possible with the various UTX devices: 0dB to 21dB with the M40, 0dB to 27 dB with the B40, and 0dB to 48dB with the P40.  A call to tech services is needed for further detail.