SRC vs Venue/Venue 2 range?

Trey LaCroix

I have a Venue with VRT's and then I have an SRC looped through the back of it to max out my 8 channels of wireless.  Seems I get the same amount of range with that combo?  I haven't done anything remotely scientific about measuring it but it seems my A1 SRC gets the same range as the 2x Block 19 VRT's that are in there?  Larry F might be able to chime in better on the hard numbers though!

On 12/1/2020 at 6:10 PM, codyman said:

I have a Venue with VRT's and then I have an SRC looped through the back of it to max out my 8 channels of wireless.  Seems I get the same amount of range with that combo?  I haven't done anything remotely scientific about measuring it but it seems my A1 SRC gets the same range as the 2x Block 19 VRT's that are in there?  Larry F might be able to chime in better on the hard numbers though!

This where we need our "It Depends" quote. The sensitivity of both Lectro systems is roughly the same. However, due to RF background noise in urban areas, sensitivity doesn't have a lot to do with range. (!)  RF background noise is the great equalizer. For instance, assume a receiver with a measured sensitivity of -107 dBm (good not great) and a receiver with a sensitivity of -101 dBm (pretty bad). If you are in the mountains of Montana where RF background is very low, the good receiver will have about twice the range (6 dB better sensitivity) of the bad receiver. If you are in an urban area where the background noise is -100 dBm the performance of the good and bad receivers will be pretty equal. Both receivers will require at least a signal 10 dB greater than the background noise to deliver a usable signal. So both receivers will need a -90 dBm signal to be 10 dB above the background noise.

This is analogous to recording a heavy metal band. It makes little difference if your mic preamps have a noise level of -131 dBm or -126 dBm; the preamp noise is totally buried in the music noise.

So, in sum, the small differences in sensitivity between the Venue and SRc in the real world are negligible. If there are video transmitters, poorly shielded bag mixers, controllers or other wireless on set, all of a sudden the mountains of Montana will look like downtown LA.
Best Regards,
Larry Fisher

• 1 month later...

Until recently, I was getting far greater RF range from my bag via SRC’s than my Venue 2 on the cart. So much so, that I sent my Venue to Lectro for a checkup. Everything seemed to check out to spec.

The performance of my Venue improved dramatically when I switched from the tuned dipoles I had been using to filtered Wisy fins. 

My bag rig uses SNA’s with an Audio Wireless filtered distro