Power consumption recorders

henrimic

On 12/11/2020 at 12:30 AM, RadoStefanov said:

Sorry Glenn,

While Nova OneUnit is extremely power efficient your Math is wrong. 

It is impossible for a nova to go 11 hours with 4 receivers.

However the nova OneUnit has 2 Hirose connectors for hot swap. You can run it forever.

Ok I will run some tests Monday. I could be off. I just reran the numbers and got between 9 to 10 hours on paper.

Glenn

Sonosax SX-R4+

has been designed with the weight (850 g 1.9 lbs), size (200 x 50 x 144.5 mm 7.87 x 1.96 x 5.7 ‘’), and power (6W if all inputs are enabled)  in mind for docu work.

It's so good that it became even a good choice for classical music recordings! I love what engeneering has been put in this little machine.

With the Wysicom 4 channel reciever and the upcoming RX+ module it will be really efficient, but I don't know if the module will be ready for summer...

While power consumption is important the size and weight are in many ways more important. With no need for external receivers and their bulky holders and antenna connection cables the Nova stands alone.  Test everything out and go for whatever seems right. 

Power wise with the Nova, I've never used more then 1.5 Hi-Q batteries a day. Thats with everything up minus PH. 

If you are going to be hiking and recording while doing so, being able to see your feet is amazing. It gives you so much more confidence to move freely. This can probably be achieved with other gear but the Nova is small and has so much fire power.

My Nova rig fits in a cheap 25L backpack with room to spare.

14 hours ago, glenn said:

Ok I will run some tests Monday. I could be off. I just reran the numbers and got between 9 to 10 hours on paper.

Glenn

I think you are pretty close, see my post above for 1.14 x 98Wh for nine hours with one MRX414 powered up, but also powering a G3 TX, AES42 (Schoeps Super CMIT powered which gets warm), and two P48 inputs powered. This is outdoors about 2-4 degrees Centigrade.

+1 on having a rig that allows you to see your feet as you hike.  For long hikes involving climbs and rocks I found I needed to get out of a normal front-mount harness and put the rig in some sort of rucksack that I could securely strap to myself so it would not slide around.  One other thing: the "hiking" docs I worked on had very small crews, so everyone had to pitch in to get the, yes, camera gear "up the mountain".  I did what I could re: my own gear to get my hands free (ie a way to strap a short boom or pistolgrip mic to my rig etc) so I could take a turn also carrying a tripod or hi-hat or camera battery etc..  This was kind of how we got through those days.

10 minutes ago, henrimic said:

Thanks to my colleague @Masaki HatsuiI had the opportunity to test a Nova this week. Really nice and clever machine. The form factor, the ergonomics, the weight and low consumption are real advantages. 
I am a bit confused by the software, but It’s just a question of time and habits.

Once you get used to it, it is lighting fast. 

12 hours ago, henrimic said:

Thanks to my colleague @Masaki HatsuiI had the opportunity to test a Nova this week. Really nice and clever machine. The form factor, the ergonomics, the weight and low consumption are real advantages. 
I am a bit confused by the software, but It’s just a question of time and habits.

You can test my SX-R4+ i'll give it to you for a week. I'm in Lausanne, and send my greatings to Masaki.

Patrick

On 12/8/2020 at 8:26 PM, kavenzmann said:

The MixPres are okay, but not great in power consumption. If you don't need Bluetooth for the Wingman app, that will save some extra juice.

Late, but for the record I connected my MixPre-3 to a laboratory power supply measuring consumption depending on the operating options.

I found out that Bluetooth is essentially free. After all it's very low bandwidth status updates for the meters and time code, it does not send audio after all. The worst offender is the gorgeous screen that, at the same time, you can see under bright sunlight.

38 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

Does it have a second redundant media?

Not Redundant like a Sound Devices 8 Series / Zoom F8n / etc that writes to both simultaneously (but then again, most Zaxcom recorders don't do that either), but pseudo "redundant" in that a 2nd copy is made to a USB drive from the SD card automatically. 

41 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Not Redundant like a Sound Devices 8 Series / Zoom F8n / etc that writes to both simultaneously (but then again, most Zaxcom recorders don't do that either), but pseudo "redundant" in that a 2nd copy is made to a USB drive from the SD card automatically. 

Usb drive connected in a bag? Great idea

What do you mean most Zaxcom dont do that?

My setup has 4 back ups:

transmitters, Nova MARF, Nova Mirror, CL stereo mix.

P.S. The way sound devices and zoom write to 2 cards is -  if there is a failure you loose both files.

Read about MARF. Preserves all data all the way to the failure. Absolutely the best way to preserve data and one of my main reason for using zaxcom. 

43 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

Usb drive connected in a bag? Great idea

You can use a mini USB drive such as this that has almost nothing sticking out:
You'll Barely Notice the World's Smallest USB 3.0 Flash Drive | Usb, Thumb  drive, Usb design
I wouldn't greatly worry about how securely that is fitting, as it is very low profile. 

Nova Mirror

Exactly, Zaxcom does Mirroring too. 

Read about MARF.

Yes, I of course know about MARF. 
I'd say it is a different type of workflow, but not always automatically a better workflow in absolutely every way every time. 

21 hours ago, borjam said:

Late, but for the record I connected my MixPre-3 to a laboratory power supply measuring consumption depending on the operating options.

I found out that Bluetooth is essentially free. After all it's very low bandwidth status updates for the meters and time code, it does not send audio after all. The worst offender is the gorgeous screen that, at the same time, you can see under bright sunlight.

THX for testing that out yourself.

Highly appreciated!

To be honest, I have a wired Sony FP battery sled, that sits in the bag. Lots of old batteries of that type collected dust. Now, they have a new life. 

Even more efficient are USB powerbanks and angled USB cables.

That way you can still have the AA battery sled as a safety option.

Powerbanks are very low profile and soo cheap.