Comtek BST-75 channels

soundbwoy

I've been using a BST-75 for years without ever thinking about it.  I have 12, 216 receivers tuned to ch 41 and they've worked perfectly until recently.  I am working on a big set with lots of other rf from various departments and the director has complained that he experiences loud intermittent squealing while he is on set.  I want to change the channel to let's say 44, because I know that another mixer has had success in a very similar situation with that channel at that location with virtually the same equipment from all departments.  What do the 10 switch positions translate to on the channels of the receivers?  

This is one area where I think Comteks fall short. They’re tricky to troubleshoot. If you need to problem solve random interference issues like this the receivers give you next to no info to work with. 

Without an external scanner it’s just a lot of guess work and trial and error. 

I agree with Derek. In the heat of confusion it can be stressful to “click” through the channels to find a clean frequency. 

But the advantages of vhf in a crowded spectrum, and a housing and electronics that can take a beating throughout the day, along with the price point per unit; offsets the minor inconvenience it takes to grab a clean freq and get on with the day. Just my .02.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 11:57 AM, soundbwoy said:

I've been using a BST-75 for years without ever thinking about it.  I have 12, 216 receivers tuned to ch 41 and they've worked perfectly until recently.  I am working on a big set with lots of other rf from various departments and the director has complained that he experiences loud intermittent squealing while he is on set.  I want to change the channel to let's say 44, because I know that another mixer has had success in a very similar situation with that channel at that location with virtually the same equipment from all departments.  What do the 10 switch positions translate to on the channels of the receivers?  

Just curious if the camera department was using wireless headsets when you were experiencing the interference? We're using an identical setup here and had some terrible howling interference from the ClearCom headsets the camera department was using.  If the director was near the DP's in video village it was terrible.  Haven't heard interference that bad in many years of using the setup, but hey always something new to tackle!