Best antenna for 470MHz IFB tx?

Rob Beal

I recently moved the IFB feed for my crew down to the 470MHz range (using a Sennheiser SR300 transmitter in the A1 block) in order to keep the frequency a bit further from the rest of my wireless. I've always used a Lectro SNA600 dipole as my transmitting antenna, but technically the center frequency of that antenna is only tuneable down to 550MHz. I know that's probably "close enough" to effectively be fine, but I'm curious if there would be a better antenna for a 470MHz signal. Directional might be nice too, so I can point it at set and give my boom op a bit more range that way too. What are other people using?

Rob

You can use the SNA600. It is fairly broadband and our tests show it works well below 470 MHz.  Just pull the arms to their furthest extension. It isn't directional of course.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

You can also use the Lectro ALP-500 series of antennas for moderate gain and directionality at 470 MHz. The specs say it is good to 450 MHz. Make sure you don't use an amplified antenna; they only work as receive antennas. 

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Thanks Larry, and good idea re: the ALP-500, as I still have a couple of those kicking around in storage. I guess I'll stick with my SNA600 for now, and the next time my boom op encounters range issues I'll try switching to the ALP500 and see if it improves the issue.