MIXPRE10 ii headphone jack beware

hiro nakamura

Just got my SoundDevices Mixpre10II for less than a month.  I was swaping it from a Ktek small to a more compact bag Ktek junior.  When I pulled the 3.5mm jack...  It just came out.  Like waking up from a sweet dream.  

Sound Devices claimed not under warranty and cost 300 fix it。 

Please when you got yours...  be gentle...  not as solid as you think. 

wx_camera_1607775806141.jpg

wx_camera_1607775692017.jpg

42 minutes ago, KGraham045 said:

If it’s less than a month old then it should be under warranty.

first was claimed  it was broken by the user.  

second, the part was not under the warranty.  

What to do! what to do !

44 minutes ago, Peter Mega said:

After you’ve fixed it, get one of these and never take it out. 

https://www.sounddevices.com/product/xl-14/

Oohhh! I actually got one from my sound devices 302 package ! 10 years ago :)

18 minutes ago, Jim Feeley said:

Are you the second owner? As in: Did you buy it used?

Can you get it fixed locally for less money? Here is their Beijing-based distributor, http://www.dingrun.com , who might be able to fix, or suggest someone to fix, your recorder.

Good luck!

I got it from DingRun about 3 weeks ago as first owner .  So purely legit purchase from official dealer.  Talking to them and Sound Devices at the same time. 

Just got the answer last night from DingRun that Sound Devices thinks the user broke the jack, and the part is Not under wanrranty. 

Wiredly, the whole thing should be under warranty...  but anyways...  I emailed Sound Devices but they didn't reply to me yet.  Hopefully something turnt good. 

Remarkable. It seems most peculiar that a panel mount jack could fail like that, even with someone banging on the connection with the cable. It seems like a part defect to me.

It looks like a simple fix, especially if it is not directly soldered to the PCB. Any good electronics shop should be able to fix that for much less. But then they would have to order the part and that would take time.

6 hours ago, Paul F said:

Remarkable. It seems most peculiar that a panel mount jack could fail like that, even with someone banging on the connection with the cable. It seems like a part defect to me.

It looks like a simple fix, especially if it is not directly soldered to the PCB. Any good electronics shop should be able to fix that for much less. But then they would have to order the part and that would take time.

I would expect that the plug that "leveraged" that jack would have bent before the jack broke. That is to say the user would know immediately that too much sideways force was applied and would know the reason for the failure. From the picture it seems possible that overtightening the nut would pull the jack apart in that manner. Experimentally,  I guess you would have to get the same jack and brutally tighten the nut to see if that duplicated the failure. Or push a plug sideways in the jack until something failed and see if it looked like the example.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

2 hours ago, LarryF said:

... From the picture it seems possible that overtightening the nut would pull the jack apart in that manner. ...

Indeed, the picture has me confused. I can't figure out why it necks down to a smaller diameter like that rather than having more threads. Having the thread on the front indicates it is more than likely PCB mount, which would have a plastic housing and really thin metal features.  But there are some nut-on-front jacks for individual wires. I looked through Digikey and can't find anything like it in a non-PCB mount.  I think you may be onto something in that what we see is a necked down portion that would be inside a plastic PCB mounted housing and what we see is the bit ripped out of the housing.

• 3 months later...

Just stumbled across this topic. I recently had the same thing happen to me, almost exactly. 2 weeks after purchasing a pre 10t ii, barely even used, that part fell off. No damage to headphone jack on my mdr7506’s. SD said it wasn’t under warranty at first and eventually acquiesced after a few emails back and forth. 

see my topic here:

https://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/37180-mixpre-10t-headphone-jack-replacement/&tab=comments#comment-381472

Gotham sound ended up ordering the replacement part and fixing it for free, with a quicker turnaround than shipping it back to SD — but I certainly hope that this does not happen again! 

FYI - The 12" Sound Devices 3.5mm adapter extension cable was mentioned above. 

I use a similar 6" adapter cable on every 3.5mm jack: laptops, recorder, ....  This adapter fits almost flush to the surface, and the female socket might be routed and attached to the unit to face outward: - Amazon.com: Seadream 2PACK 6 inch 3-Pole 3.5mm Male Right Angle to 3.5mm Female Stereo Audio Cable Headset Extension Cable Replacement for Beats Dr. Dre Studio iPhone,M to F Audio Cable: Electronics.

This is a common problem with all of the small SD products going back to the 302, MixPre.  The headphone jacks are part of the single circuit boards these units have.  Much cheaper to produce a single board with everything attached and attach  and simple mount it into the case.  Much like the assembly of the PC.  The cost of repairs becomes greater since you are dealing with board attached connectors.  Hand wiring takes time and adds to production costs.  Ignoring the R&D, I suspect many of the SD products are less than $100 in production costs

Also my experience has been those connectors used on the all on-one-board designs are not as robust.

I've had an original MixPre, 302 (2), 744T (2), 702T, 552, 633 and 664 (2) since all of them were (respectively) first released.  I've used them all heavily, often in rough run and gun situations, with headphones plugged directly in.  NONE of the mini jacks have ever failed.  So what is up with the current MP series?

On 4/7/2021 at 6:49 PM, Rick Reineke said:

I use these (very) low profile RA plugs.. of course someone would need to solder them on.

I’ve been using Neutriks right angled metal housed 3.5mm connector almost exclusively when soldering my own cables for my mixpre and other audio applications. 

They are sturdy, easy to solder and put together and low profiled enough. And come in chrome or black. 

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/ntp3rc-b