Zaxcom's new IFB -- URX-50

Jeff Wexler

3 minutes ago, Chris Woodcock said:

My only request really is still a rack mounted ifb transmitter. 

*For the people who  will eventually say velcro a cl3 to a shelf, this is why I have a rack case.....to rack mount things....🤦‍♂️

It would be really cool to see a rack mount until with multiple CL3s in it.

15 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Having the "IFB Finder" using the built in speaker is a genius idea for at the end of the day when you need to play "hide & seek" to discover where folks have secretly hidden their IFBs on set. 

100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, Chris Woodcock said:

My only request really is still a rack mounted ifb transmitter. 

*For the people who  will eventually say velcro a cl3 to a shelf, this is why I have a rack case.....to rack mount things....🤦‍♂️

I whole-heartedly agree. However, I have found that with a little bit of creativity I can rackmount anything. Don't know the size of the CL3, but other Zaxcom units fit into BEC group holders, or Zaxcom's own mount. Like thew Zaxpaq, or a similar thing which I have.

Which isn't specifically for rackmounting, but it can be made to work. 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Having the "IFB Finder" using the built in speaker is a genius idea for at the end of the day when you need to play "hide & seek" to discover where folks have secretly hidden their IFBs on set. 

It's a cool idea, but I can't help but wonder if the speaker can be activated by mistake? I'm sure it can be used to listen to the audio without headphones on. Or is its only purpose to serve as a finder help? I didn't watch the presentation...

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

But then I'd lose out on OT searching for them. To be honest the built in speaker can utilised for a number of reasons. It's not something I would of considered but I like the thinking. 

I really hope they can make the GUI work with a TRX900CL and not just the CL3. For that matter other stereo TX. I am assuming it works something like using a Nomad/RX12/CL or IFB200 for IFB200 where one channel is for audio and the other for commands. 

4 minutes ago, Shastapete said:

Looks like it. A good number of products use an embedded pi (don't blame them, it's a mass produced, and well supported computer). That said, there's a Zaxcom proprietary daughter board, case, and of course software.

I wonder what flavor of linux they modified to make it boot.  Just always curious about creative builds like this.

1 minute ago, codyman said:

I wonder what flavor of linux they modified to make it boot.  Just always curious about creative builds like this.

I'm sure they stuck with Ubuntu, as that's the "default" Raspberry Pi distro, pretty simple to then have it run a web server and whatever software they have to send serial commands to the CL3.

Likely some python script to listen to the HTTP requests and translate that to the RS422 commands.

This misses the mark for me. Here’s what I’m looking for in a next gen IFB:

-under $400 per unit

-survives drops

- all day (14 hours) battery and ideally multi day

- better audio than a comtek

-some basic info on the receiver like an RF meter

-wide tuning range

-high power transmitter options

-headphone Jack that works with standard stereo headphones

44 minutes ago, Derek H said:

-under $400 per unit

-survives drops

-wide tuning range

Cheap or good. 
choose one. 

45 minutes ago, Derek H said:

-under $400 per unit

-survives drops

-wide tuning range

You've just described used Lectrosonic R1a's.  I just picked up another IFBT4 + two R1a's for under $1000 shipped (used).  Range for days and with rechargeable lithium 9v's, they go all day.

under $400 per unit

-survives drops   sometimes

- all day (14 hours) battery and ideally multi day  at least a long day

-wide tuning range      most times the 216mhz range is clear

And that's why many of us still use Comteks.

On 12/19/2020 at 12:14 AM, Constantin said:

[Having a missing unit make a sound so you can find it is] a cool idea, but I can't help but wonder if the speaker can be activated by mistake? I'm sure it can be used to listen to the audio without headphones on. Or is its only purpose to serve as a finder help? I didn't watch the presentation...

I haven't watched the the full preso yet. But if they made activating the IFB's speaker a two or three-step process, with the last alert something like: "Are you sure you want to have the IFB make noise? Have you wrapped all your cables yet?" then they can probably keep down the number of mistakes.

It's a really cool idea. But what I need are motorized bits of kit that return to home base (my bag and cases) if they go missing. Here's a quick demo sketch where an earwig wakes up a young agency client as it starts its journey back to the PSM: 

Anyway, cool to see some innovation in IFBs...

17 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

I haven't watched the the full preso yet. But if they made activating the IFB's speaker a two or three-step process, with the last alert something like: "Are you sure you want to have the IFB make noise? Have you wrapped all your cables yet?" then they can probably keep down the number of mistakes.

The mixer can turn off the speaker (individually per unit) in the GUI software, so only "authorized" units can have that feature.

10 hours ago, johngooch said:

225$ for a charger that charges the AAs in two units?...... 

Lectrosonics charger for the R1b is $600, and that "just charges" the np50s in 4 units

20 hours ago, Derek H said:

-under $400 per unit

-survives drops

-wide tuning range

Feel free to build one then!

If Sennheiser the maker of cheapest decent wireless systems can't put out an IEM/IFB for less than $500 ($470 for the tour guide version) Why do you think Zaxcom, Lectrosonics, Wysicom, or another more niche manufacturer could do it?

I love the Sennheiser IEMs. Way under rated. If I could 100% trust them to get through a whole day without needing a battery change then they’d probably be my top choice. In my experience they usually make it but not always.  They’re also easy to buy for under $500 most retailers will give you a discount if you’re buying a few. 

If anyone can make an IFB with a talkback channel built in now that would be interesting. 

2 hours ago, Derek H said:

I love the Sennheiser IEMs. Way under rated. If I could 100% trust them to get through a whole day without needing a battery change then they’d probably be my top choice. In my experience they usually make it but not always.  They’re also easy to buy for under $500 most retailers will give you a discount if you’re buying a few. 

If anyone can make an IFB with a talkback channel built in now that would be interesting. 

I think the Zaxcom TRXFB3 does that. I think its made for talent IFB and is way out of the price range for a standard IFB unit.

7 hours ago, Shastapete said:

Feel free to build one then!

If Sennheiser the maker of cheapest decent wireless systems can't put out an IEM/IFB for less than $500 ($470 for the tour guide version) Why do you think Zaxcom, Lectrosonics, Wysicom, or another more niche manufacturer could do it?

The Deity BP-TRX will be coming out for US$249