Higher quality (than zoom) handy recorder

boop

Hi folks

This is my first post here so hello and nice to meet you all! I've been lurking around here for a while so thank you for all the informative posts! 

I'm looking for a handy recorder with integrated stereo mic... something the size of a zoom H6 with its stereo shotgun attachment, but much better quality. Does such a thing exist? I work for a big broadcaster and we are well served with larger sound devices gear, but I'm looking for something I can chuck in my bag for FX gathering or on-the-hoof bits. 10 years ago or so a lot of our producers had handheld nagra recorders with stereo mics. They suffered quite a bit from RF interference and were pretty fiddly but (at least to my memory) sounded great and had really low noise floors. 

I basically want a handheld thingy that I can plug straight onto a CMS-50. I had a thought that the zaxcom plugon transmitters are nearly what I'm after, but I don't really need the TX bit! A zoom H6 with F6 pre's and A/D would be perfect! 

Cheers all.

I have a Nagra Mezzo and it’s a terrific little recorder with stereo mikes built in. It’ll record 24-bit at 48khz, even at 96khz. It always sounds great (with the usual caveat about careful microphone placement) but I acknowledge that my use has been stenographic rather than audiophile. (I have other recorders I could use for that purpose.) However, I heard a recording of the church bells that Peter Weibel made at the Los Angeles Cathedral and it was outstanding, at least through headphones. I’ve never found the Mezzo to be fiddly but maybe some of the earlier handheld Nagras were. I checked the Nagra website and the Mezzo is still listed as current. 

David

10 hours ago, boop said:

I basically want a handheld thingy that I can plug straight onto a CMS-50. I had a thought that the zaxcom plugon transmitters are nearly what I'm after, but I don't really need the TX bit! A zoom H6 with F6 pre's and A/D would be perfect! 

Why not just get a Zoom F6? As the F6 is so perfect already for you!
Zoom F6 is only 250gm more than an H6 (plus the weight of a short XLR cable, although nothing stopping you plugging in a Sanken CMS-50 directly if you wished!)
Sound Device MixPre3mk2 is also ultra compact. 

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Why not just get a Zoom F6? As the F6 is so perfect already for you!
Zoom F6 is only 250gm more than an H6 (plus the weight of a short XLR cable, although nothing stopping you plugging in a Sanken CMS-50 directly if you wished!)
Sound Device MixPre3mk2 is also ultra compact. 

Y’know i think this might be the way... for something ultra-compact maybe popping a couple of 4097s in barrels in 2 of the inputs, and like you say - its probably light enough to go on a rycote handle 

17 hours ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

Lectro SPDR.

Does not have integrated mic, but since you mentioned the CSM50...

I thought these only put out 3V or so for Lavs?