Hirose Adapter for MixPre

TomBoisseau

I’m considering getting a Hirose adapter for my MixPre-3 II.  I’m currently trying to decide between the Sound Devices MX-HIROSE and the Cable Techniques MX-POWERSLED.  The The Cable Techniques looks to be more robust, however the Sound Devices unit appears to be smaller / lower profile (which I like).  They both are about $100.  Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Tom

I did this same comparison for my MixPre and ended up going with the CT unit.  It is physically larger but not so much that it makes too much difference in my bag.  The main ultimate selling point was that the CT unit is all metal.  You probably won't go too far wrong either way.

Thanks for your input Neil.  

How well "recessed" is the Hirose connector on the Cable Techniques unit?  It appears (from photos) that the "sideway" recess is greater with the Sound Devices adapter, which might possibly mean less strain on the connection when using in a bag and when running about.

Tom

A thing about the hirose adaptors to remember is that when you connect an ext dc battery to the hirose connector they are akways powered on as the dc regulator in the adaptor. Is always on so will slowly drain your ext battery overnight etc so always disconnect ext batt when not being used. 

• 1 year later...

My issue with stacking on the backup power source is that it’s a false sense of security. First, I’m not sure if you could configure the AA’s as the backup to the hirose if they are using the same connection. Okay, I get it, it’ll keep rolling
the real issue however is that the sled itself falling out entirely is your most likely point of failure