new recorders 2021

bary555

Traditional like Rick said, it seems things show up in April-ish / October-ish.  That being said, with COVID going on, who knows if things have been delayed or postponed.  I personally ordered a piece of kit that was supposed to have been released last month but has been delayed due to supply chain issues.

This thread inspired me to write a huuuuuuuuuge post in reply with my personal thoughts about what might come next from each brand, but it got to a point it was so long I just made it into a blog post:
http://ironfilm.co.nz/audio-field-recorders-in-2021-my-predictions-wild-guesses/

In very brief summary, I’m not expecting many major field recorder announcements in 2021, aside from “a Zoom F10” (might even be so bold as to call this “likely“) plus maaaaaaybe a MixPre and quite possible some kind of left field announcement none of us are even expecting (could even be from one of those brands I wrote off as AWOL, that’s exactly why it would be an unexpected surprise! ha). 

Perhaps 2021 might be a relatively quiet year for us? Especially with the impacts felt from the AKM Factory fire causing shortages, and COVID19 in general causing economic stresses which would be dampening demand for equipment upgrades.

What we may see from the big pro brands, is a focus this year in 2021 to be bringing out more accessories to support and develop their existing range of recorders, rather than releasing brand new recorders. For instance 2021 is when we’ll see Sonosax’s SX-RX8+ (the SX-RX8+ brings Superslot Wireless integration to the SX-R4+ recorder). And 2021 will also likely be when we see a “Sound Devices SL4” (a bigger version of their Sound Devices SL2 for Superslot wireless), or maybe (here is my hope! Fingers crossed) a “Sound Devices CL6” (a smaller & cheaper version of their Sound Devices CL16 control surface). And Zaxcom might bring out a similar new control surface for their Zaxcom Nova as well?