Oscar Sound Tech TL-40 vs COS-11D and Tram TR-50 - Self Noise, Your experience?

Paul F

I've read many posts on this topic going back to 2011. I found all comments quite favorable regarding the TL-40. One post said the self-noise was comparable to the COS-11D. So I bought a TL-40 to try out. While the sound was acceptable (it was a little thinner in the lower frequencies), the self noise is substantially louder (I can't give a figure) than the TR-50 or the COS-11D

Did I get a bad apple or have you had the same results? I'm surprised and disappointed because I also bought the OST 801 and found it comparable to the COS-11D and TR-50 regarding self noise.

If the self noise were better, I'd like to have these in my kit as an end-fire option for those riskier Jerry-Springer-guest-who-rips-off-the-mic kind of jobs.

With lavs I've usually found that in real-world use A: TX noise, B: environmental noise and  C : clothing noise are always bigger factors than the self noise of the mic.  I'd recommend that past a certain level of self-noise that all pro lavs in good condition are at by now that you go with the mic you think sounds the best on the voices you record, the rigs you use and the sets you work on.

I find the noise level of the TL-40 to be objectionable. What am I doing wrong? Please listen to the sample audio with headphones. Here's the test I ran:

For the test below, I have used two different TL-40s and also swapped transmitters and receivers to make sure there were no differences in the chain. Results were the same using different wireless units and different TL-40s.

- Connect an 801 and a TL-40 to two different G3 pairs.

- Microphone connected to G3 transmitter. G3 receiver to Zoom F8.

- G3 transmitter sensitivity on both units set to -24db

- G3 receiver outputs set to 0db

- Set both microphones near the bottom of the breastbone.

- Send a tone to both microphones and set the level on the F8 such that both channels are at the same level (-12db)

- As a result of the above, the 801 channel is at +35db. The TL-40 channel is at +30db, indicating the TL-40 is 5db more sensitive in this case. End fire TL40 is facing upwards towards my mouth. Side fire 801 is facing outwards from my chest.

- Both channels sent to L&R

- Reduce TL-40 channel gain all the way down (+10db). Leave 801 gain at +35

- Start recording. Remain silent to hear noise level of the 801.

- Turn TL-40 gain up to +30db. Remain silent to hear added noise of the TL-40.

- Turn TL-40 back down to compare.

2050494741_SelfNoiseSample.WAV