Which coax cable for long run?

LuisT

Hello everybody!

What are you using as a coax cables for long runs? It will be used with a Wisycom LFA and BSRF AS122 distro.

I am searching something flexible so i can use it on a drum roll.

My sound shop is using Aircell7 usually and i heard about Lmr240Uf.

(Slightly more loss at 500mhz but thinner).

Thoughts?

Cable loss is inversely proportional to cable diameter. RG8X is a smallish cable (.250" similar to RG-58) and will be relatively high loss over long runs. Don't confuse RG-8X with RG-8, which is a .400" cable with less loss over long runs. There are other .400" inch cables that are more flexible and have foamed dielectrics for a little less loss, emphasis on little. Google a cable loss table and figure out what kind of losses you can stand and make your choice. There rarely is a free lunch at the RF table.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

That’s why my vote is for RG8X. Anything thicker is a bear to wrangle and arguably unsafe to lay down on a busy set unless you tape the crap out of it. You can deploy RG8x quickly and a good amplified antenna will overcome the loss for 120+ feet and it will work. 

If you need a lot more length than that then I would look for different advice. Maybe optical conversion? Don’t know?

Hi Derek,

Now that you added amplification, I agree totally. Just make sure it is a high overload amplifier, i.e., pretty high current (power). It's not even necessary to use RG-8X (though it is the best of the .250" cables). Good ol' RG-58 will work fine, if you balance the amp gain and cable loss.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

p.s. If the amp manufacturer or amplified antenna manufacturer doesn't spec third order intermod values, it's probably a poor choice.

Here’s a calculator that allows you to enter different types of coax, in addition to cable length, frequency etc. and see how much insertion loss you’re looking at:

https://www.timesmicrowave.com/calculator/?Product=RG-8X&RunLength=100&Frequency=550

Now, that’s of course not going to tell you how stiff or supple a particular cable might be, but at least it will give you some helpful info to work with.

5 hours ago, LuisT said:

Is RG8X more flexible than LMR240 UF?

Yes. Not a huge difference but the LMR240UF has a bonded foil shield in addition to the braid that makes it a little stiffer. Otherwise it’s very similar. Uses the same connectors. It’s a bit trickier to terminate because of the  foil shield you kind of have to trim it back a little bit and it’s glued tight to the dielectric. 

• 1 month later...

Curious if anyone can recommend a good source for a coax cable wind up ‘reel’, hand crank style. Have searched all over and haven’t found a winner yet.

Worked with a mixer who has had a couple of these, 2-pair loomed coax reels at 75’~ length, from Silent Sound in Toronto. They are too busy to build one for me lately so I want to try and get it built elsewhere/ DIY!

This thread is super helpful to decide what cable to use, thanks @Johnny Karlssonfor that link!

Showing us your rejects and why you rejected them would help people make suggestions. Also, it seems like you intended to post a link to an example of what you're looking for?

Here is a simple solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Bayco-KW-110-Storage-Center-100-Feet/dp/B000GAS3K8/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=hand+hose+reel&qid=1614095842&sr=8-17?

3 hours ago, Paul F said:

Showing us your rejects and why you rejected them would help people make suggestions. Also, it seems like you intended to post a link to an example of what you're looking for?

Here is a simple solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Bayco-KW-110-Storage-Center-100-Feet/dp/B000GAS3K8/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=hand+hose+reel&qid=1614095842&sr=8-17?

Thanks Paul, yes I could have been clearer in my request above - I will elaborate!
This link shows the specific style I am after... (except not an AC cord, obviously).

An enclosed retractable reel, but with a plain centre section where I can install two 'surface mount' BNC connections. Where does one buy such a thing?

image.png

https://www.amazon.ca/Woods-2801-Power-Extension-25-Foot/dp/B000GAS3A8?ref_=Oct_s9_apbd_omwf_hd_bw_bAbXRAR&pf_rd_r=1MM3D6YBA3JAPB8TWBV8&pf_rd_p=c424f636-186f-52e9-a942-15f2f915a80f&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=9716022011

15 hours ago, lazajamsonic said:

Curious if anyone can recommend a good source for a coax cable wind up ‘reel’, hand crank style. Have searched all over and haven’t found a winner yet.

Worked with a mixer who has had a couple of these, 2-pair loomed coax reels at 75’~ length, from Silent Sound in Toronto. They are too busy to build one for me lately so I want to try and get it built elsewhere/ DIY!

This thread is super helpful to decide what cable to use, thanks @Johnny Karlssonfor that link!

Markertek.  I have a 100' coax(BNC)/dual XLR reel with panel mounted connectors on the reel and a 200' ethernet reel with panel mounted jack.  They are well made, lightweight and reasonably priced.  Those were actually pre-made, but they do custom, as well, if they don't already have what you need.

A quick look on their site(not as user friendly/searchable as it used to be) I ran across a single and triple coax reel, but not a double.  Not saying there isn't one or they won't make it, but just didn't see one in the quick glance I took.

On 1/21/2021 at 1:46 PM, LuisT said:

Hello everybody!

What are you using as a coax cables for long runs? It will be used with a Wisycom LFA and BSRF AS122 distro.

I am searching something flexible so i can use it on a drum roll.

My sound shop is using Aircell7 usually and i heard about Lmr240Uf.

(Slightly more loss at 500mhz but thinner).

Thoughts?

In Europe is more easily to find RG213 than the RG8 (both are close), up to 30m without amplification (500MHz) (5dB loss), but 11mm of diameter. The LMR240 is nice, is a bit thicker than the RG58 (6,1mm instead 5,5mm of the RG58), up to 22m for a 5dB (550MHz), but is a bit stifther than the RG58

6 hours ago, ramallo said:

In Europe is more easily to find RG213 than the RG8 (both are close), up to 30m without amplification (500MHz) (5dB loss), but 11mm of diameter. The LMR240 is nice, is a bit thicker than the RG58 (6,1mm instead 5,5mm of the RG58), up to 22m for a 5dB (550MHz), but is a bit stifther than the RG58

LMR240 Ultraflex is there... 

• 1 year later...
26 minutes ago, LuisT said:

Hello, 

does anyone knows where to find LMR240 UF or RG8X in Europe without buying 1 kilometer of cable?

It seems hard.

Thanks

I get the rg-8x in Poland from here:

https://www.konektor5000.pl/index.php?p5570,magnum-rg-8x-mini-8-niskostratny-kabel-przewod-koncentryczny-50-ohm-do-anten-cb-kf-vhf-uhf-wlan-lte

Maybe they could ship it to other european country

11 hours ago, bary555 said:

I get the rg-8x in Poland from here:

https://www.konektor5000.pl/index.php?p5570,magnum-rg-8x-mini-8-niskostratny-kabel-przewod-koncentryczny-50-ohm-do-anten-cb-kf-vhf-uhf-wlan-lte

Maybe they could ship it to other european country

State-side I order my ultraflex at custom lengths from Field Components. Maybe they ship internationally?

On 7/27/2022 at 6:27 AM, BAB414 said:

State-side I order my ultraflex at custom lengths from Field Components. Maybe they ship internationally?

are you still happy with the LMR 240 UF? is it flexible enough on a drum roll?