CEDAR Noise Reduction Now Available on Sound Devices 8-Series Recorders

jon_tatooles

We have worked a long time on this project and are pleased to offer CEDAR noise reduction on the 8-Series. This is another available option, along with our own internally developed NoiseAssist, for realtime noise suppression. These processes take advantage of the enormous computational power in the 8-Series.

https://www.sounddevices.com/sound-devices-and-cedar-audio-ltd-announce-cedar-sdnx-for-8-series/

This is really very cool, I think. It’s pretty pricy, but Cedar always is. 

But, as mentioned here and on Facebook, I have strong reservations regarding movability. I‘m fine using it with only one recorder at a time, but the ability to move it fairly freely from one recorder to another would add a lot of value and cause many more of us to consider buying this. But the if it’s tied in to my one recorder and I couldn’t even move it if that recorder was e.g. stolen or if I wanted to upgrade from 833 to 888, then it’s a no-go from me. 

On 1/26/2021 at 7:32 PM, henrimic said:

If not, I will remain with my DNS 2 and move it freely from one kit to another. 

This.
Am in agreement. 

On 1/26/2021 at 7:32 PM, henrimic said:

I should be able to move the licence via a USB key for example.

But not the iLok style system please!! As the last thing you want on set is your recording spitting the dummy because of the licensing having their wires crossed and refusing to operate for you. 

Do it more like s-log was done for the Sony PMW-F3, where you could load it on or off any of Sony PMW-F3, and then take it across to another PMW-F3 instead via the SxS card. 

Congratulations on bringing Cedar to the 8-series!
I’m very happy with my 888 in general. And personally, I am fine with the license being tied to one machine.

- The last thing I would want is a dongle. While I fully understand how iLok became a necessity to combat rampant piracy in music production plug-ins for DAWs on computers connected to the internet, it’s still a terrible thing to have to deal with. To this day, I avoid buying plugins that require iLok.

I totally agree with both of you.

When I spoke of a USB key, it was more in a way to transport and activate / de-activate the licence from one machine to another. If the USB has to be plugged to use the plugin, the risk of loss, break or forgetting the device is too important.