Shure Axient Digital very impressive

justanross

This is some impressive range. I have Shure IEM’s for my Boom Op and love them. They really need to come up with a bag receiver and I’d consider switching over to them in the future.

The video also proves you don’t need to crank the power at the transmitter to get better range. 

Shure has always made great wireless equipment, however, they've pretty much always catered just to the installed theater/music crowd for the most part.  If they could pack the tech from their quad rackmount receiver into something properly sized for bags, it would be pretty fantastic.

5 hours ago, codyman said:

Shure has always made great wireless equipment, however, they've pretty much always catered just to the installed theater/music crowd for the most part.  If they could pack the tech from their quad rackmount receiver into something properly sized for bags, it would be pretty fantastic.

They used to have a body pack size receiver in their analogue range.   They discontinued it.  Its range was very impressive.

Quite impressive. However, I can't begin to express (on a public forum) how very annoyed I am by the stupid background music in the video above. This would have been a good opportunity to listen to the system as well, especially that guy on the lav, but there was no way to judge background noise and other artifacts. 

Anyway, yes a bag receiver would be great, but it seems to me that what's special about this system is the quad receiver, with four antennas spaced around. With a bag rx that's pretty much pointless as you couldn't really space them out. So the great range feature may be lost in a bag

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2021 at 3:29 AM, Constantin said:

Quite impressive. However, I can't begin to express (on a public forum) how very annoyed I am by the stupid background music in the video above. This would have been a good opportunity to listen to the system as well, especially that guy on the lav, but there was no way to judge background noise and other artifacts. 

I agree about the bg music, but I don’t believe there would be any artifacts as it’s 100% digital. 

I got to demo an Axient rack system a couple weeks back and the range does seem to be unmatched (especially based and at such low RF power settings). They have the tiny internal antenna’d transmitters, they just need to figure out a bag sized receiver. And if they can somehow get their 2.4ghz Showlink remote control tx integrated, it would be a welcome disruption.

I’ve used first the analogue Shure Axient and it sounds great with great range and fantastic control.

The digital Axient sounds even better (though it’s hard to beat the analogue Axient).

But I just love the dynamics and transparent sound of digital systems like Shure Axient, Shure ULX-D, Sony DWX etcetera.

Constantin, rest assure, the digital Shure Axient sounds fantastic and the features are also fantastic. It’s basically impossible to distort, you just lower the volume in the receiver and you’re good - due to the way the digital signal is captured and transmitted by the transmitter.

I’ve used both the digital Axient and ULX-D for big conferences with thousands of participants, lots of media (meaning lots of rouge RF-signals in close proximity) with ZERO problem.

The Axient system will even swap channel if there is any interference on a used channel, and it’s possible to set two transmitters to the same receiver, and it will switch to the second transmitter if it has to, and send a new channel to the first transmitter.

I’ve only used that feature for high-profile international automobile shows with hundreds of set channels (ten-fifteen for each pavilion and loads for the reporters. Still there are rogue signals appearing all the time.

As always, Shure systems are rock-solid performers.

I still got a bunch of analogue Shure UR systems for run’n’gun reality and documentary shoots - their range is fantastic even with the antennas on the receivers in my bag, and not even barking dogs will make the transmitters distort. 😂

Most of the time, I use my digital Sony DWX systems, but if Shure would make a digital ENG-receiver, I would probably jump ship.

Cheers

Frederick

On 4/18/2021 at 5:59 AM, JimKeaney said:

agree about the bg music, but I don’t believe there would be any artifacts as it’s 100% digital

Digital doesn’t mean there won’t be artifacts. 8-bit audio has artifacts. Mp3 has artifacts...

I‘m sure it sounds better, but I‘d love to be able to judge for myself

On 4/18/2021 at 9:21 PM, ninjafreddan said:

Constantin, rest assure, the digital Shure Axient sounds fantastic and the features are also fantastic. It’s basically impossible to distort, you just lower the volume in the receiver and you’re good - due to the way the digital signal is captured and transmitted by the transmitter.

That sounds great! And I‘m sure it does sound great, but this would‘ve been a good opportunity to listen and judge  for myself...

• 2 weeks later...

Shure submitted docs for a wireless portable receiver to the FCC about a month ago. I believe it will be called ADX5 and it has a 2.4Ghz radio in it, assuming for Showlink. One picture for label placement shows something that look a lot like a slot style receiver. 3 flavors for bands, 470-636, 608-700+, 941. The confidential docs expire in September so I'm guessing a summer release. Im really excited to see what Shure has done with it.