I am well past my 2nd vaccine vaccination, any questions

MartinTheMixer

Yes--what flavor of vaccine did you get, and did you have any adverse reactions?   What percentage of the people you are regularly in contact with have also been vaccinated?  Are you over 65 years old (no worries if you don't want to answer about that)?   Were you vaccinated at a city or county-run vaccination site, a private medical facility or other?  Were you out-of-pocket for the cost?  How much of a deal was it to get the appointment for the first shot?  The 2nd?  thanks

I am trying to get my second shot of the Moderna vaccine. I described the experience as a mini version of Covid. I did not loose my smell but had sore muscles, brain fog (more than usual), headache after two days and it lasted about 3 days. I am due for the second shot on the 4th. 

16 hours ago, Paul F said:

Do you have any extra vaccine you're willing to give in trade for microphones or ...?

Hey sorry guys, I didn't get notification that I had responses to my post.  No extra vaccine, but I'm super full of antibodies, drain off a pint of your blood and I'll give some. You know, like when you put too much oil in the lawnmower. 

Thanks, Martin

14 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Yes--what flavor of vaccine did you get, and did you have any adverse reactions?   What percentage of the people you are regularly in contact with have also been vaccinated?  Are you over 65 years old (no worries if you don't want to answer about that)?   Were you vaccinated at a city or county-run vaccination site, a private medical facility or other?  Were you out-of-pocket for the cost?  How much of a deal was it to get the appointment for the first shot?  The 2nd?  thanks

Philip, All good questions. In order that you asked. I received the Pfizer version of the vaccine. Before I start answering the next question you asked, I want to say that not everyone is going to get as sick as I did from the vaccine. Don't fail to get the vaccine based on what I'm about to say.  Yes, I got very sick from the vaccine. But I still think the vaccine is better than what could happen to you from Corona virus. I had heart pain, I had lung pain and problems, I had terrible coughing, I can expand on that if anybody wants me to, my fever was a few degrees high over normal,  then it went back to normal, then it started plunging down into the hyperthermia range. The low temp was really concerning. The arm pain was probably not much less than had I been shot in the arm with a gun. That lasted for weeks. My arm began to atrophy.  The good news on that, from not booming for so long, that little pinch feeling that I had, for years during booming,  is gone. There were other problems, symptoms too, just look at the side effects from Coronavirus. As far as booming during that time, to give you an understanding of how much pain and inability, I could not have held up a lav mic, much less a boom. Now, from overworking my left arm (the vaccine arm), that arm is stronger than it's ever been relative to the right, or dominant arm. I can now boom at least as well as I could before the shot, I have practiced a lot. Your question about contact with others with or without the vaccine. The amount of people I am in contact with the vaccine is probably very close to zero. I can safely say that because of the amount of people that I am in contact with is very close to zero. As to your age question, I am not near 65 years old. As  to your question about where I was vaccinated it was a private site. My 2nd shot, or booster, was in early September. That is the shot that can make you miserable. I am skipping the cost question as it does not apply to my shot, so I have no knowledge about that. The appointment questions also do not apply to my situation. Feel free to ask any questions,  Thank you, Martin

In talking with several healthcare workers who have had their shots, and who also have experience with others, the consensus is that there is little effect from the first shot, but sometimes a bit more with the second one, where several people have had some muscle soreness, lethargy, etc. for about a day -- but seldom worrisome.

That has been the experience of some other Cali soundies I've spoken with who have had shot #1, and are still waiting to get an appt for shot #2.  To say the situation in Ca is chaotic would be an understatement, and people are angry enough about it that the formerly politically bulletproof governor's political future is now in doubt.  We could do this if we wanted to, but the balkanized nature of government and medicine in CA, let alone smaller metro areas like the SF Bay Area works against getting it done.  An example of the chaos currently sown: today it was announced that the City of San Francisco is suing it's own school board over school reopening, while the board being sued debates school-name changes, to remove names like Lincoln, Washington, Paul Revere etc.. 

Thanks to the OP for that info.

I had my first shot about two weeks ago.  I am 68 years old.  I got the Pfizer BioNtech vaccine. My experience with that shot was completely unremarkable.  I have had worse experiences getting a Tetanus booster.  No physical reactions, and in fact, my arm didn't even hurt.  I slept on my left side, my normal, with no (well, really little) pain.  A nothing-burger for me.

I have no expectations of the second shot.  I get it on Valentine's Day.  Nice gift. Anyway, whatever happens, it will be worth it.  My questions now revolve around how soon I will feel comfortable about taking on work.  I think I'll feel immunized against the virus but my concern would be the thought that I would be able to carry the virus home in my nasal passages and although asymptomatic, infect my partner.  After she gets her shots (she's 56 so it will be a while in Washington State), I think I will be able to go to work worry free.  Our COVID pod is just the two of us.

I am a member of a health cooperative in Washington that is my Medicare provider and who has done a brilliant job of managing the vaccine so far.  It did take me about two hours on-line getting my appointment.  I was kicked off over and over but in the end, to get an appointment for both vaccines in two hours seems pretty righteous.  Good work Kaiser Washington.

I'll report back after my second shot and close the circle.

Stay well.

On 2/3/2021 at 12:10 PM, John Blankenship said:

In talking with several healthcare workers who have had their shots, and who also have experience with others, the consensus is that there is little effect from the first shot, but sometimes a bit more with the second one, where several people have had some muscle soreness, lethargy, etc. for about a day -- but seldom worrisome.

My GF is a supervisor on her shift at the county paramedic service here.  Although she elected to not receive the vaccine, yet(she wants to see long-term effects), those on her shift that have, received their second dose last week.  She said that a LOT(most?) said they felt horrible, like the flu, afterwards.  She also said that it was very telling to her, that they were giving the vaccinations to people as they were going into their days off(first & second doses).

But I’ll also say that my Mom has had at least one of the two shots and didn’t complain about anything(late 70’s).

7 hours ago, tourtelot said:

I had my first shot about two weeks ago.  I am 68 years old.  I got the Pfizer BioNtech vaccine. My experience with that shot was completely unremarkable.  I have had worse experiences getting a Tetanus booster.  No physical reactions, and in fact, my arm didn't even hurt.  I slept on my left side, my normal, with no (well, really little) pain.  A nothing-burger for me.

I have no expectations of the second shot.  I get it on Valentine's Day.  Nice gift. Anyway, whatever happens, it will be worth it.  My questions now revolve around how soon I will feel comfortable about taking on work.  I think I'll feel immunized against the virus but my concern would be the thought that I would be able to carry the virus home in my nasal passages and although asymptomatic, infect my partner.  After she gets her shots (she's 56 so it will be a while in Washington State), I think I will be able to go to work worry free.  Our COVID pod is just the two of us.

I am a member of a health cooperative in Washington that is my Medicare provider and who has done a brilliant job of managing the vaccine so far.  It did take me about two hours on-line getting my appointment.  I was kicked off over and over but in the end, to get an appointment for both vaccines in two hours seems pretty righteous.  Good work Kaiser Washington.

I'll report back after my second shot and close the circle.

Stay well.

tourtelot, I would recommend you have blankets and sweaters on standby for when you wake up after the 2nd shot. The first shot was great, I slept like a baby for a few days after that one. No memorable anything from that one, but on the second one, since it was summer,  who has a sweater nearby or heated blankets in the summer? The chills were aweful. I worried about chipping a tooth. Apparently,  one of the other recipients did chip a tooth from the chills. I think I would say that if you are, say a couple,  I wouldn't both get the 2nd shot within about 3 days of each other, one of you has to be well. I think the odds are against both of you getting really sick from getting the 2nd shot, but the odds of me getting into a crash today are very low, but I will still wear a seatbelt. 

Thank you, Martin

4 hours ago, Rich Reilly said:

How many here have had covid and are encountering expectations of vaccination and/or masking?

Rich, I don't think I understand the question. Can you clarify that question? Thank you, Martin

On 2/3/2021 at 8:20 AM, newzhack said:

I am trying to get my second shot of the Moderna vaccine. I described the experience as a mini version of Covid. I did not loose my smell but had sore muscles, brain fog (more than usual), headache after two days and it lasted about 3 days. I am due for the second shot on the 4th. 

newzhack, Those were your symptoms after the first shot?

Thank you, Martin

The striking thing to me is,  even after you have had the second shot, production companies are still requiring 

a Covid test, FREE if you have enough notice 3-5 days, but here in NJ a rapid test is 119$,  twenty minute results!

I don't see a return to normal any time soon! MHO

47 minutes ago, MartinTheMixer said:

You can google the lists to see all the people who have been "qualified".

In California?

My mother in law is 65 with failing kidneys waiting for a transplant going to the hospital 3 times a week for dialysis and  does not qualify yet!

11 minutes ago, jwill said:

The striking thing to me is,  even after you have had the second shot, production companies are still requiring 

a Covid test, FREE if you have enough notice 3-5 days, but here in NJ a rapid test is 119$,  twenty minute results!

I don't see a return to normal any time soon! MHO

Even stranger is people who had covid and recovered are required to test all the time with a few major production companies. 

I think you can still be an asymptomatic carrier of Covid even if it doesn't make you sick.  That's why you have to keep on with the masking and distancing after you get the shots.  Rado, your mom in CA DOES qualify, she is over 65 and has health conditions.  However just being qualified doesn't mean you won't have to do a lot of phone+internet legwork to find and make an appointment with a site that actually has vaccine on hand.  Some senior appointments have been cancelled day-of due to vaccine distro issues as well (well over 5000 in one stroke one day in Santa Clara Co, for instance).  So someone who is internet savvy may have to help your mom get her shots.

7 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

I think you can still be an asymptomatic carrier of Covid even if it doesn't make you sick.  That's why you have to keep on with the masking and distancing after you get the shots.  Rado, your mom in CA DOES qualify, she is over 65 and has health conditions.  However just being qualified doesn't mean you won't have to do a lot of phone+internet legwork to find and make an appointment with a site that actually has vaccine on hand.  Some senior appointments have been cancelled day-of due to vaccine distro issues as well (well over 5000 in one stroke one day in Santa Clara Co, for instance).  So someone who is internet savvy may have to help your mom get her shots.

After you recover you are fine based on numerous studies in Europe. As a general rule I just follow the Europeans on COVID. American media is ridiculous and not to be trusted. Even my wife is still wiping everything.

My mother in law is in Nevada and this is what her doctor is telling her. I should maybe take over and start calling. Today marks an year she has not hanged out with her grand daughter. And covid is the main reason why. The sooner we vaccinate her the sooner we can go back to normal.

1 hour ago, MartinTheMixer said:

You can google the lists to see all the people who have been "qualified".

What I meant is how did you get the vaccine? What is the procedure who to call and where to check?

All of my friends that work in the medical field have already received their two doses and none of them had any issues other than one said his arm was a little sore for a couple days after the first shot.

This virus sure has been wacky.  My 87 year old Grandmother who has a ton of pre-existing (I'm pretty sure she hasn't exercised since "The War" as she calls it aka WW2) conditions got COVID in her retirement home but didn't even know she had it until a weekly test confirmed it (she never exhibited any symptoms) whereas a friend of mine who is super fit and 35 years old was sick as a dog for weeks, go figure.

5 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

After you recover you are fine based on numerous studies in Europe. As a general rule I just follow the Europeans on COVID. American media is ridiculous and not to be trusted. Even my wife is still wiping everything.

My mother in law is in Nevada and this is what her doctor is telling her. I should maybe take over and start calling. Today marks an year she has not hanged out with her grand daughter. And covid is the main reason why. The sooner we vaccinate her the sooner we can go back to normal.

What I meant is how did you get the vaccine? What is the procedure who to call and where to check?

I am not in California or Nevada, so I can't help there. As far as failing kidneys, if I had a mother in law with failing kidneys, I don't think I would be getting her vaccinated.  I can't imagine going thru the chills, etc., with failing kidneys on top of it. Everyone has to make there own decisions on this, but I would live in a cave as opposed to getting vaccinated with internal organs failing. Tough choices. 

1 minute ago, codyman said:

All of my friends that work in the medical field have already received their two doses and none of them had any issues other than one said his arm was a little sore for a couple days after the first shot.

This virus sure has been wacky.  My 87 year old Grandmother who has a ton of pre-existing (I'm pretty sure she hasn't exercised since "The War" as she calls it aka WW2) conditions got COVID in her retirement home but didn't even know she had it until a weekly test confirmed it (she never exhibited any symptoms) whereas a friend of mine who is super fit and 35 years old was sick as a dog for weeks, go figure.

Both my parents had it. both 71 years old. My father is a recent cancer survivor and had it bad but not critical. My mother was in the ICU and almost died. Tanks to some French drugs both survived it.

Rado, I don't know how things are going in Nevada (though sounds like they're not going a lot better than here in Calif), but here in Calif, I think the current deal is 65+ qualify for immunization (as do some other specific categories of people), but underlying conditions are not currently factored in... But the specifics of who can get vaccinated and when is made at a county level... (ie some aren't yet immunizing 65 year olds, I think)

In California, there's this somewhat useful state-run website: COVID-19 vaccination: Find out if it’s your turn

And there's this GREAT!!! volunteer-built and run website that's constantly updated. It's really helpful: VaccinateCA: Find a COVID-19 vaccine for yourself or a loved one

Maybe there's something similar in Nevada? Geez; good luck Rado! And good luck everyone!

3 minutes ago, codyman said:

Cody, Glad shes doing great. Yes, wacky fits for a description, the vaccine is the same, most people, it's a minor annoyance, then, bam, the next guy it's tough and you are really sick. But I still would get vaccinated if I had to do it over again.

Thank you, Martin

2 minutes ago, MartinTheMixer said:

I am not in California or Nevada, so I can't help there. As far as failing kidneys, if I had a mother in law with failing kidneys, I don't think I would be getting her vaccinated.  I can't imagine going thru the chills, etc., with failing kidneys on top of it. Everyone has to make there own decisions on this, but I would live in a cave as opposed to getting vaccinated with internal organs failing. Tough choices. 

Both her doctors here and in Europe are saying she is fine being vaccinated.