Smart batteries: RA vs Aaton vs Audioroot

Erin Bliss

I bought 2 extra Audioroot batteries to replace a few of my first generation Aaton batteries (I think audio root battery with aaton “ID customization”). And although specs should be exactly the same, these new Audioroot batteries do not eject easily. You need  to pull hard to get them out. I work mainly over shoulder on documentary and cannot eject them with one hand. I changed to the newest Aaton labeled RCC ones, and they work great. (The simple battery check of the Aaton ones I like better also...

audioroot now has two "half size" battery lines, the classic 49 WHs and the "neo" 48 WHs. The difference is that the new "neo" ones sport an oled display that lets you read all battery data even without being connected to SMBus gear. The slightly smaller net capacity seems to be due to the additional power needed for the display and ICs. But the price is awesome: the new series is about 30% cheaper than the traditional (101 USD instead of 145). With new Software Cantar X3 can now also read non Aaton battery data, so very likely the Mini can do it too.

2 hours ago, axel said:

audioroot now has two "half size" battery lines, the classic 49 WHs and the "neo" 48 WHs. The difference is that the new "neo" ones sport an oled display that lets you read all battery data even without being connected to SMBus gear. The slightly smaller net capacity seems to be due to the additional power needed for the display and ICs. But the price is awesome: the new series is about 30% cheaper than the traditional (101 USD instead of 145). With new Software Cantar X3 can now also read non Aaton battery data, so very likely the Mini can do it too.

I always have a half a inspire energy battery in my harness. 

what is a Non Aaton battery data? All batteries should be SmBuss. 

Just bought some IE 98w batteries that have a third party label on them for 90usd each.  Also use RRC plus the Aaton batteries that came with the recorder.  Two plus years now and no issues.  I use the Aaton charger and bought an RRC charger from Mouser.

1 hour ago, drpro said:

Just bought some IE 98w batteries that have a third party label on them for 90usd each.  Also use RRC plus the Aaton batteries that came with the recorder.  Two plus years now and no issues.  I use the Aaton charger and bought an RRC charger from Mouser.

I was told RRC are copies made in China and not using the best Panasonic cells. 

1 hour ago, yizhye20 said:

audio root got a different screen, but they are all the same to be honest.  audio root is hard to active because of the screen. 

IMG_0533.jpg

I had 2 “third party” fail on me after 40-50 charges. I will disassemble one to see what is inside. 

23 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

I was told RRC are copies made in China and not using the best Panasonic cells. 

I had 2 “third party” fail on me after 40-50 charges. I will disassemble one to see what is inside. 

just some Panasonic  18650. so in some cases you can turn them into a 3054 with NCR18650F

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2021 at 5:29 PM, RadoStefanov said:

I always have a half a inspire energy battery in my harness. 

what is a Non Aaton battery data? All batteries should be SmBuss. 

on top of the SMBUS info those IE batteries can be "branded" by software. So Aaton at first only provided basic SMbus functionality like discharge % and provisional runtime with non Aaton branded batteries. With branded ones you could also see the actual capacity vs nominal capacity, nr of charge cycles and some more.

2 hours ago, axel said:

on top of the SMBUS info those IE batteries can be "branded" by software. So Aaton at first only provided basic SMbus functionality like discharge % and provisional runtime with non Aaton branded batteries. With branded ones you could also see the actual capacity vs nominal capacity, nr of charge cycles and some more.

All smbus readers show that information on smbus is  battery. .  Nothing to do with the branded battery.

6 minutes ago, foliver said:

We have 2x 98KW/H, and the cantar X3 charger, doesn't allows to plug both at the same time, it can charges just one with the other out of the charger....

What a F&%$()" charger

Just get a Inspired energy charger for charging. I have to check but I believe I paid $100 for my CH4040 dual simultaneous charger without calibrator. Inspired energy have a lot of good options.  If you want the extra info like charging cycles get audioroot one.