Dpa 4061 v Sanken Cos 11

jwill

I currently utilize Sanken Cos 11s, Countryman B6 and Tram Tr 50s. If I'm not hiding the mic I like the TR50s, hiding the Cos 11/ B6.

I have had more than a few caps get buggered in both Sanken and Countryman, I'm looking for a more robust mic...is the DPA 4061 that mic? Nearly 2x the cost of a Cos11?

Your thoughts/opinions?

John I like the Cos11 for noisy locations, seems to hear less of the background noise.  To my ear the DPA lavs cut very well with the Schoeps mics.  I would not consider the DPA lavs to be more robust, unless you buy 4660 series.  My experience has been the DPA lavs fail right at the point where the cable enters the housing.  Also if you are using ones with the microdot connector, that too is a weak spot.

Have you tried the Countryman B3 series?  I use them in Ursa Mini-Mounts and then use Super Stick It to secure the mics and it has become by far my best lav setup I've ever used.  The B3 seems to be indestructible as I've never had one fail on me despite tons of abuse with non actors in the documentary world.  If things get windy, I use Super Stick It to secure a Rycote Undercover on top of the mic cap and mini mount and I've had guys driving 60+ mph on a highway in a convertible with no wind noise (other than of course the car noise).  I'm sure the DPA's probably sound better but I am not exactly certain they could take the abuse these B3's have and the B3's can be had for Lectros for about $200/each!

I have a bunch of 4061 but recently I have been using alot of Tram TR50 and OST 801 for the projects. As much as 4061 sounds awesome, i find that the cable stiffen too much after about 2 years of usage. And also, I am starting to hear hiss at higher gain. Thus i only use 4061 for higher end projects.

My oldest tram and ost is around 6-7 years old as of now. And their cable is still very very good! I can crank up the gain if i need to and there is no hiss. Its also excellent in very loud environments. It has become my go-to mic once again and I am loving it!

On 2/5/2021 at 10:25 PM, drpro said:

John I like the Cos11 for noisy locations, seems to hear less of the background noise.  

Indeed.  Good for when you want  less reverberation picked up too, despite being omnidirectional. I also like the cable strength on the cos11 - talent are not always gentle with my lav mics.