Low-end Hollyland Lark 150 wireless kit

Leonardo Dias

Has anybody tried the "Hollyland Lark 150" budget wireless kit? Would it be worth considering for small interviews and indie/student films, with 2 people talking to each other?
Or is is a toy? I've seen some rave reviews, but the price seems really low for what you get (2 mics, 2 deadcats, 2 transmitters, 1 dual receiver, 1 charging case), so I don't know if they were biased.

Aha. @IronFilm, that would be a smart, but pretty annoying move. It isn't the case, though. I'm a solo videographer and I do work in lower end corporate gigs. When I can, I work on indie passion projects. (You can check here that I do exist and have nothing to do with any brands: https://vimeo.com/leonardodias)
I have the Sennheiser wireless kit ew G3 and I've been looking for a second unit, so I can make 2-person interviews without the need to rent. Before going straight to a G4, I've been searching the market for more budget-friendly options and someone recommended me this site, as the people here are real high end professionals with proven track records and respected opinions. So I tried my luck. I was also taking a look at the Saramonics, but I've read a thread here where people are advising others to stay away. I'll probably end up going with the G4s anyway...

44 minutes ago, Leonardo Dias said:

Aha. @IronFilm, that would be a smart, but pretty annoying move. It isn't the case, though. I'm a solo videographer and I do work in lower end corporate gigs. When I can, I work on indie passion projects. (You can check here that I do exist and have nothing to do with any brands: https://vimeo.com/leonardodias)
I have the Sennheiser wireless kit ew G3 and I've been looking for a second unit, so I can make 2-person interviews without the need to rent. Before going straight to a G4, I've been searching the market for more budget-friendly options and someone recommended me this site, as the people here are real high end professionals with proven track records and respected opinions. So I tried my luck. I was also taking a look at the Saramonics, but I've read a thread here where people are advising others to stay away. I'll probably end up going with the G4s anyway...

Personally I would suggest the Deity Connect system. It is going to be a professional lav package with fantastic value. And if you upgrade the mics to the Deity W Lav Pro, you will be killing it!

@Leonardo Dias, ok, I believe you! 🙂

As for wireless, Sennheiser G4 (or G3) is the bare bare bare absolutely minimum for vaguely "professional" wireless (it doesn't, but at least we could pretend it does).  Anything else below this is too horrendously bad. 

In my personal opinion, the Sony UPW-D21 is a little better, for the same price. 

Otherwise yeah there is the Deity Connect, which has its own sets of pro/cons. 

I’m trying to wrap my head around why someone would take such low end work that the price of a G4 is holding them back, and they’re considering no name toy brands. Honestly, the phrase “you don’t get what you don’t ask for” is everything when you consider this industry as a business. In your case, bill for sound separately and hire someone with proper equipment instead of doing multiple jobs for peanuts. You’ll never attract higher end clients if you don’t charge proper rates, and there’s no point in trying to do everything yourself when you can employ someone who specializes in sound for a living. Corporate gigs should be able to afford proper rates, and if you’re doing everything at a discount, you’re teaching them bad habits. It’s only a matter of time before they’re going to try to get you to do more for less, unless you start up selling them on the advantages of paying more for the product. Hire a sound guy, get better sound. Hire a gaffer, get more and quicker lighting options. That’ll let you focus on building your camera and setting up your shot. The day will go by faster and more efficiently, and the product will be better. A good client will see the value in that. 

2 hours ago, JonG said:

I’m trying to wrap my head around why someone would take such low end work that the price of a G4 is holding them back, and they’re considering no name toy brands.

I totally agree except I wouldn't call Hollyland a "no name toy brand". 
They're becoming quite established as an up and comer for wireless video, with many shoots using them.
Thus the fact they'd take a stab at wireless audio as well is not a shocking surprise at all. But as this is their first ever audio product, I'd prefer to give them a few generations of improving it before wanting to seriously rely upon it for a paid gig.