Replacement Rubber Grips for K-Tek Boom

Michael Render

I recently acquired a used K102CCR boom and the rubber rings around the collars are definitely beat. One of them is so loose it just moves freely. Others are worn down. Do any of you know where to get replacements? Or have you done DIY fixes? I contacted K-Tek over a week ago and they have not gotten back - except for an email saying they would get back to me soon.

Do you mean the compression collar on the inside?  I doubt you can get them from anywhere but K-tek. They still make that pole so parts should not be an issue. I'd make a new inquiry. Things aren't what they were in service departments with the pandemic.

I made an inquiry to them about parts two months ago and I heard back from them in two days.

1 hour ago, Paul F said:

Do you mean the compression collar on the inside?  I doubt you can get them from anywhere but K-tek. They still make that pole so parts should not be an issue. I'd make a new inquiry. Things aren't what they were in service departments with the pandemic.

I made an inquiry to them about parts two months ago and I heard back from them in two days.

No, the actual outer part, the knuckle. They have a small channel with a knurled rubber ring. On my KP16 the knurling is cast into the knuckle. On the K102 it’s a piece of rubber. I will contact K-Tek again, thanks.

1 hour ago, ProSound said:

Email Tino@ktekpro.com directly he will get right back to you or call 760 727-0593

They are a very small company but provide great service 

Thanks for the contact info, I will try again.

I had this issue a few years ago. I can't remember if they had replacement rubber or knuckles with rubber but I ended up replacing all the collars with their newer machined ones. It was pricey so I'm going to lean on the side that they no longer have them in stock. I could be wrong. Like people have said once you're able to get in contact with them they should be able to help you out. I've generally had a good experience with their customer service.

They haven’t used rubber coated collars in many years.  I currently have two K102CCR’s.  The oldest being approximately 15 years old, which replaced the one I had stolen which was only ~three years old, and my newest one which is maybe ~five years old.  Both of my current poles have dimpled metal collars, and it’s been so long ago that I can’t remember if my original boom had rubber coated/covered collars or not.

You could always go the route I have gone with stick mics and use PlastiDip to coat them, for a nice rubbery/grippy feel.  And if you don’t like it, it peels off easily after completely drying.  You could probably actually use it on the entire main body of the pole, with no ill/lasting effects, if you wanted to give yourself extra grip in places.

PlastiDip

Ok, thanks. I see now why I was confused about what you needed. I didn't realize that there was version that had a rubber overlay. I also wanted to see the picture to see if there was something that could be fabricated to replace it.

You may still get lucky that they have some spares. Their spares prices are not unreasonable, so maybe a new set of collars won't give you too much sticker shock.

The only thing I can think of in terms of DIY would be to use marine grade heat shrink tubing that has glue on the inside. Not a great solution, but maybe one or two layers would do.

24 minutes ago, Michael Render said:

I reached out to K-Tek again and they are sending me a set of rings for 10 bucks! Now that's service!

Very cool. You went from sad to glad. Cool beans.

Jeremy,  I'm jealous of your Italian leather upgrade. I'm stuck with cold aluminum dimples. Nicely done.