Sound equipment cameos [was: Aliens like pitch change]

Jim Feeley

• Jim Feeley changed the title to Sound equipment cameos [was: Aliens like pitch change]

I'm watching a series called Counterpart and in one scene they were using a number of field recorders as props; I saw an older Cantar, what looked like a Tascam DR-70, and a couple others.

One of my favorites was in an episode of Law and Order where a 911 operator was adjusting the call quality on a Furman…

1 hour ago, Rick Reineke said:

I always get chuckle when period movies have prop microphones the did not exist. For instance I have seen more that than one 1950s period movies with SM 57s 58, RE50 and 635a podium mics that did not exist until the mid to late 1960s.

Me too. I recently saw a clip of Lenny and The Squigtones from Laverne and Shirley. They were using 1968 635a mics in 1958.

Lenny and The Squigtones! That's the second time this week that band has come up in conversation. I agree with you Michael: They were ahead of their time, and not just in mic choice. 😉 In highschool I bought their live album...to make fun of it. But despite the intentionally goofy songs, the playing was pretty good. Here they are on American Bandstand playing a couple tunes.

But the big win/reveal starts at 3:30, where between songs, they introduce the band. I think it was that guitarist's first public appearance.

While on this subject, I think there’s a pretty big elephant in the room. Imagine the logistics of how to pull this off:

You are flying a helicopter during the Vietnam war. You have a huge clunky reel to reel player, in your helicopter, and you’re blasting Wagner from miles away as you’re flying towards the enemy on the ground to scare them.

Your reel to reel is just sitting on the floor of your chopper, not secured in, and somehow manages to stay put while you’re swooping around in the air. And you also happened to be equipped with the most powerful PA system in the world because anyone able to hear the music at all, let alone clear enough to distinguish what it is, has to hear it over the sound of your fleet of helicopters from off in the distance, before the helicopters themselves are even audible. 

I feel like you’d need the Grateful Dead’s wall of sound to pull that stunt off! Talk about suspension of disbelief! You’ll never watch Apocalypse Now the same way again! 

15 hours ago, JonG said:

While on this subject, I think there’s a pretty big elephant in the room. Imagine the logistics of how to pull this off:

You are flying a helicopter during the Vietnam war. You have a huge clunky reel to reel player, in your helicopter, and you’re blasting Wagner from miles away as you’re flying towards the enemy on the ground to scare them.

Your reel to reel is just sitting on the floor of your chopper, not secured in, and somehow manages to stay put while you’re swooping around in the air. And you also happened to be equipped with the most powerful PA system in the world because anyone able to hear the music at all, let alone clear enough to distinguish what it is, has to hear it over the sound of your fleet of helicopters from off in the distance, before the helicopters themselves are even audible. 

I feel like you’d need the Grateful Dead’s wall of sound to pull that stunt off! Talk about suspension of disbelief! You’ll never watch Apocalypse Now the same way again! 

There were helicopters that played music as psychological warfare in Vietnam...

See this topic:

03DAC067-9F43-4A9A-9A2B-05AF0FA8FE16.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 4:34 PM, Michael Render said:

Not strictly recording gear, but apparently all you need to communicate with alien entities is a Pittsburgh Modular rack synth and Audio-Technica headphones. At least he has the "Lifeforms" module. From the new film Doors (2021) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12483708/

DoorsPart3.jpg

Hah! Isn't that what communicating with aliens really is though? Lfo1 modulation output going to pitch change of vco1, lfo2 output going to rate of lfo1. 

On 3/23/2021 at 8:34 AM, Michael Render said:

Not strictly recording gear, but apparently all you need to communicate with alien entities is a Pittsburgh Modular rack synth and Audio-Technica headphones. At least he has the "Lifeforms" module. From the new film Doors (2021) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12483708/

Now that's progress! Remember when you needed an ARP 2500, a tie, and a VP of engineering to communicate with aliens? Soon there will be a smartphone app for that...

close-encounters-arp-2500.jpg

• 1 year later...

Marvel's Agents of Shield have a Behringer something or other, presumably taking readings on the Kree monolith.  The logo isn't visible in the linked still, but in the episode the camera pans across and the distinctive triangle logo is clearly visible on the top piece of equipment in the rack.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/marvelcinematicuniverse/images/6/69/Fitz_Gun.png/revision/latest?cb=20151001231247

On 7/22/2022 at 9:06 AM, Jim Feeley said:

Jonas Vingeggard wearing a Tentacle Track E (I think) during the awards ceremony for Stage 18 of the Tour de France. I doubt he wore it while racing that day. 😉

Looks like it's for a Netflix docuseries that follows eight teams. 

Netflix Will Follow the 2022 Tour de France in a New Documentary Series

https://variety.com/2022/digital/global/netflix-tour-de-france-documentary-series-1235219758/

• 1 year later...