Documentary boom and wireless

Nicky T

On 3/3/2021 at 3:55 PM, henrimic said:

I had a bad experience in a rain forest a few years ago with the Schoeps

@henrimic Can you tell a little bit more about your experience with Schoeps mics in the rain forest, please?

I have an upcoming project in very humid weather conditions and prefer the sound of Schoeps. But the best sounding mics don't mean anything, when the are not working.

A few mouth ago I had a call with Schoeps regarding this seeming humidity "problem" and they said, their mics don't have much more problems with humidity then others. But – if I understood it right – with their internal voltage specifications, I could occur that you hear air ionization in form of crackling in environments with high RH. That's the reason why the built a heater inside the outdoor ORTF-3D, because when the mics are a few degree warmer than the environment, air humidity should not condense to water on or inside the mics. So theoretically I would need "only" a very small electronic heater inside the windscreen . Technically this shouldn't be a problem for me, but I'm currently can not say if I'm getting a relabel operation.

My main problem is, there is no real comparable figure 8 to the CCM8. Everything else is way bigger and heavier or sound not very good. Or I'm missing something? Just a few days ago I was begging DPA for making a figure 8 capsule...

I have the figure8 from MBHO/Haun.

It's much bigger, though.

Comparable to a CMC8 MK8 combo.

Small and good sounding is the figure8 from Kortwich, but it's a special construction:

http://www.filmtontechnik.de/en/products-from-kortwich/microphone/

We use it often when the CCM8 is too sensitive for heavy booming or on camera. It sounds very good for me.

Ehm, the fig 8 kortwich is maybe small but goodsounding? i had it a few times and found it noisy and no comparition at all to the fig 8 from neumann or schoeps that i work with normaly... i would not use the kortwich 8 for anything serious... its electret cardioid capsules with to mouch space between  them, so no nice soundstage, and the frequency response is far from neutral...

neumann km 120 you can use with a active cable between capsule and mic body, then its less heavy at the basket, maybe mbho/ haun has something like this too?

We use the Kortwich figure8 quite often and I can say it's not noisier than a CCM8.

The sounsstage looks problematic but we made many comparisons with other figure8 and we never had any issues. It can be with very close sounds, but how often are you using M/S for that?

Just my experience.

14 hours ago, docsound said:

@henrimic Can you tell a little bit more about your experience with Schoeps mics in the rain forest, please?

It was the morning, the CCM8 didn’t start up, I just had hiss and noise. The CCM41 worked but with a lot of noise. 
I hadn’t time to make tests or investigate further, we had to shoot so I took my backup Sennheiser. But those are not invincible neither. On another project, in the mountain in winter, my 8060 had « cracks » and hiss. It was cold and humid and as we were shooting while skiing I had no backup. Fortunately It didn’t last and the mike worked normally after a few minutes. 

On 3/5/2021 at 9:52 PM, Ontariosound said:

All this planning for M/S recordings while on location is a good brain exercise.  But in my many years of doc production

please be aware that dialogue is King. I would think about times when you have set up a stereo rig, cables, stand, nice opportunity

for some beautiful non-sync sound and the Director says "Our subjects are getting into their car, we gotta hop in !!" and there is nobody to watch

your gear as you run with the cameraperson to hop in the car.  It can happen. 

That definitely means bad communication with the director beforehand. In my experience communication and mutual understanding is crucial in documentary. Much more than gear. I am not saying it cannot happen but if it does and you did not anticipated it, then that's on you.