Wireless designer view

nevo

Yes - you can display as many frames as will fit - just use the zoom in/zoom out function. On US computers, it is just CTRL+ or CTRL-. But there is a function in the "View" menu allowing to zoom in/out with a little slider. With a lot of channels, the info frames can get small, but with 12 channels - no problem - easy to read from a normal distance. 

Speaking of Venues and Wireless Designer: 

it would be sooooo very cool if you could make a small IR tool that you could hook up to your computer and use for IR sync to the transmitter. It’s totally cool how quickly and easily we can set the frequencies in the Venue with WD, but now I want to sync the tx, too! Just like DSQD...

and second: please support 822 in WD, too!

Maybe I am missing something,

but it would also be cool to be able to import a scan from an M2R or a DCHR.

I have connected to WD with M2R but it seems you can only update firmware.

It would also be great if when you added a custom channel, you could specify another manufacturers wireless when you added the custom channel. In the same way shure’s wireless workbench does.

Often I find myself working with a number of manufacturers wireless as well as other companies in site using different systems.

I have used a number of frequency coordinating software programmes, but I am really liking Wireless Designer.

I am not assuming any of these requests are easy, just hoping they are possible in the near future.

Mark, thanks for the kind words about Wireless Designer - we are always adding features and the latest version includes zones so you can coordinate multiple areas, rooms, buildings, etc. on a single page, and decide if you want them to interact or not.

Regarding importing scans, you can do this with an M2R if using the M2T with WD, via the IR port between the M2R and the M2T. 

Hi Karl.

Thanks fir following this up.

it is encouraging to know that most manufacturers read comments on this site and respond.

Wenare very lucky for this alone.

I have indeed used the IR port on an M2T with an M2R to import scan data into wireless designer.

it is very easy and fast.

I guess what I am getting at is the ability to use the M2R to import scans directly to a laptop via the USB port on the M2R.

This would be an excellent site survey tool where with just a laptop and an M2R you could indeed scan, import to file and coordinate at a later time.

Alternatively, if you knew in advance that you would be working at a site in the future, you could prescan the site and begin coordinating in advance.

is this a possibility in updated firmware or not technically possible?

Is this the case with the DCR822?

I am seriously considering purchasing one of these and assumed that it would be able to export scans to WD via USB.

This would be an even better solution in terms of adding it to any existing antenna infrastructure to obtain site scans.

Please let me know when you can.

Cheers,

Mark

4 hours ago, Mark said:

Hi Karl.

Thanks fir following this up.

it is encouraging to know that most manufacturers read comments on this site and respond.

Wenare very lucky for this alone.

I have indeed used the IR port on an M2T with an M2R to import scan data into wireless designer.

it is very easy and fast.

I guess what I am getting at is the ability to use the M2R to import scans directly to a laptop via the USB port on the M2R.

This would be an excellent site survey tool where with just a laptop and an M2R you could indeed scan, import to file and coordinate at a later time.

Alternatively, if you knew in advance that you would be working at a site in the future, you could prescan the site and begin coordinating in advance.

is this a possibility in updated firmware or not technically possible?

Is this the case with the DCR822?

I am seriously considering purchasing one of these and assumed that it would be able to export scans to WD via USB.

This would be an even better solution in terms of adding it to any existing antenna infrastructure to obtain site scans.

Please let me know when you can.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark, I will check on the possibility of using the M2R directly with WD as a scanning tool, but I don't think it is possible due to the hardware design. 

The DCR822, however, is designed to interface with WD, although that feature hasn't been implemented yet. We are getting close, I think. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2021 at 7:43 PM, Constantin said:

Speaking of Venues and Wireless Designer: 

it would be sooooo very cool if you could make a small IR tool that you could hook up to your computer and use for IR sync to the transmitter. It’s totally cool how quickly and easily we can set the frequencies in the Venue with WD, but now I want to sync the tx, too! Just like DSQD...

and second: please support 822 in WD, too!

I don't know if it would be worth Lectrosonics' time to make a device like that but I wanted the IR sync capability bad enough that I made a DIY IR sync device.  I built several to support the 10 VRMWB racks we have.  The devices do not integrate with Wireless Designer.

Essentially they are a Raspberry Pi with an IR LED and ballast resistor and connect to the VRMWB connects via USB.  I set it up so that to trigger an IR sync all that is required is to press and hold the Venue front panel select button corresponding to the receiver you want to sync.

I'm fairly proud of all the features I've put into them, like:

* Scan function that generates a CSV scan file suitable for import into Shure's Wireless Workbench

* Frequency deployment to the Venue receivers using CSV format coordination report from WWB.

* IR sync from Venue receivers to LMb transmitters.

* In one location, automation between the Venue, an audio recorder, and a digital console.

The software end of it has some significant hard coding so it is by no means a turnkey solution.  But if you want to embark on your own DIY version let me know and I can give you some key information.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 8:34 AM, karlw said:

Mark, I will check on the possibility of using the M2R directly with WD as a scanning tool, but I don't think it is possible due to the hardware design. 

The DCR822, however, is designed to interface with WD, although that feature hasn't been implemented yet. We are getting close, I think. 

Hey Karl, thanks to the Lectro team for DSQD which has worked well for me in its first week.  Is it possible the 822 will participate in WD scans, alongside say the DSQD, adding to the number of bands and reducing the time to scan?

• 5 months later...

Reviving this thread.  Any Updates on the DCR822 WD functionality?  Here we are 6 months later....

I had a lot of difficulty yesterday connecting a DSQD to a Macbook Pro with the latest version of WD.

The DCHP auto config network setting on the DSQD doesn't sync up with mac book IP address.

I was able to get it working one time by manually setting the IP on the DSQD at home, but when I get to the studio and tried to pickup where I left off it would not connect again.  I tried multiple network combinations on the DSQD and the Mac, no luck on set.

Any tips for for quick connect via network?  Macbook is using Thunderbolt>Ethernet adapter.  Mac OS 10.15.7

They must’ve just released that update.  Thank you Lectro!  Will test out the  new firmware tomorrow. 

I was able to get DSQD connected via Network again. It took a couple of connect requests, but it finally latched.

Now I’m wondering if it’s possible to run a DSQD and a couple of 822s at the same time in WD?

Jobo, yes - you can connect multiple devices, and different types of devices to Wireless Designer at the same time. You can even use a mixture of network and USB connections. Up to 99 frames are supported, so there is plenty of room for more than enough units. Devices supported are: Venue 1 Wideband, Venue 2, DRM, M2T, DSQD, and now DCR822. 

Be aware of the following when preparing to connect your DCR822 to Wireless Designer via USB:

The DCR822 must have the micro and FPGA firmware both updated to v1.30 or higher (you don't need to update the bootloader). https://lectrosonics.com/firmware/category/156-dcr822-firmware.html

Wireless Designer Version must be at least 2.0.30 for macOS, or version 2.0.34 for Windows. These are also available on our Support website at: https://www.lectrosonics.com/wireless-designer.html

You may need to install or update your USB drivers, and that info is also on the same page. 

Any trouble, please reach out to our Parts & Repair dept at service.repair@lectrosonics.com, asktheexperts@lectrosonics.com or 800-821-1121 (if in the US). 

Edited by karlw
added email addresses

Thanks for the details Karl. 

I was finally able to connect the DCR822 to WD using a Mac this morning.

It turns out, not all micro USB cables work the same. 

I tried half a dozen different micro USB cables and had no luck connecting to the computer, but the last cable this morning actually worked.

There must be a specific spec needed for the micro USB cable in order for the laptop to recognize as a USB device?