MixPre 6 II output to level to camera

truelife

I've looked at a few threads on here and apart from a few thoughts about setting camera to mic level and few thoughts on the MixPre being prosumer equipment, I didn't see much that detailed folks' settings for MixPre series to camera? I recognize these are less mixers than recorders, but would love to hear what folks are setting their output level to with tone to get a reference setting on cameras? I don't use it often, but I like to use the rig for interviews, particularly when i operate as a one-man operation where I have to shoot as well.

Depends on the camera but if you're going into a mic level source, might want to start with the MixPre outputting tone, set the output gain to somewhere in the middle and then adjust accordingly on the camera to -20db of which the tone is outputting.  Each camera is different but I'd rather up the output level on the MixPre than crank the gain on the camera (but be careful not to overload the input on the camera either).  Trial and error with tone is going to be key.

Just now, codyman said:

Depends on the camera but if you're going into a mic level source, might want to start with the MixPre outputting tone, set the output gain to somewhere in the middle and then adjust accordingly on the camera to -20db of which the tone is outputting.  Each camera is different but I'd rather up the output level on the MixPre than crank the gain on the camera (but be careful not to overload the input on the camera either).  Trial and error with tone is going to be key.

Thanks- yeah it's certainly trial and error, but my experience has been that the MixPre generally sounds too hot coming in unless both the camera and MixPre are backed off quite a bit. From my 633 I'm able to keep most cameras around 5 gain setting (outputting at Line), but when outputting from MixPre with the output levels dropped down below -30, sometimes I still find the sound to be crunchy and harsh. It just seems like there is never truly a sweet spot to get usable audio from MixPre to camera.

Just now, truelife said:

Thanks- yeah it's certainly trial and error, but my experience has been that the MixPre generally sounds too hot coming in unless both the camera and MixPre are backed off quite a bit. From my 633 I'm able to keep most cameras around 5 gain setting (outputting at Line), but when outputting from MixPre with the output levels dropped down below -30, sometimes I still find the sound to be crunchy and harsh. It just seems like there is never truly a sweet spot to get usable audio from MixPre to camera.

What camera are you trying to send the audio to?

I have sent scratch to that camera before and I do recall that besides the physical audio level wheel on the camera itself, there was some sort of setting in the menu pertaining to some sort of other gain level structure of some sort?  Sorry for the vagueness but there was something else buried there in the audio settings so maybe look into seeing if that can be adjusted lower?

Just now, codyman said:

I have sent scratch to that camera before and I do recall that besides the physical audio level wheel on the camera itself, there was some sort of setting in the menu pertaining to some sort of other gain level structure of some sort?  Sorry for the vagueness but there was something else buried there in the audio settings so maybe look into seeing if that can be adjusted lower?

Yeah you can set it to -50 or -60 but in my experience the difference has been nominal...

I usually send +10 or hotter from my mixpre 6 to an FS7 in at line level,  never had a complaint from cam op or post about the sound quality. One thing I have come across is the headphone out from the cameras can  sound harsh if they are monitoring in mono, have cheap headphones.