DCR 822 Digital Out Sync

matthiasp

Hi. I am wondering about the use of digital out with the 822, as the unit has no word clock sync input (unlike the AESOUT plates for SR series). How would I use two or more 822 with a single recorder? I can set the sync reference of the recorder to AES In 1-2, but then the second input might be out of sync.

whats your recorder?
most will have sample rate conversion for each AES pair.
you would be better off having your recorder as the sync master if thats the case. that way you will have no issues if you have any problems with a receiver you set to be the master.

2 hours ago, matthiasp said:

I have an SD 788T. The manual explicitly states that a sync connection is needed for AES inputs (either word clock or syncing the recorder from the digital source).

That‘s not true. The 788T has src‘s on all AES inputs. Set the clock to internal, that’ll activate them. That is also in the manual

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

That‘s not true. The 788T has src‘s on all AES inputs. Set the clock to internal, that’ll activate them. That is also in the manual

You are correct. I only read the paragraph about Digital Inputs, there it says:

When recording from a digital input, it is important to sync the 788T’s sample clock from a source that is synchronous with the digital input signal otherwise audio quality will be degraded. See Synchronization. The simplest way to achieve this is to set the 788T to derive its sample clock from the clock embedded within a digital signal. Go to the REC: SYNC REFERENCE Setup Menu and set the sync source to the applicable digital input pair.

I did not check the paragraph about Sync Reference, and assumed there are no SRCs (hence the hint at degraded audio quality).

Sample Rate Converters

The 788T has high-quality, hardware sample rate converters (SRCs) on each of its AES/EBU digital inputs. The SRCs apply to AES signals when the Setup Menu option REC: SYNC REFERENCE is set to Internal. The 788T’s digital inputs accept AES signals with sampling rates from 32 kHz to 192 kHz. With the sample rate converters active, each digital input can be connected with signals of any sample rate without having to word clock all of the devices together.

The SRCs are only active when needed; when not needed they are deactivated. To use digital inputs without the SRCs active, set the REC: SYNC REFERENCE Word Clock Input, Video Input, or to an AES input pair.

Thank you for pointing out my error.

7 hours ago, matthiasp said:

You are correct. I only read the paragraph about Digital Inputs, there it says:

I did not check the paragraph about Sync Reference, and assumed there are no SRCs (hence the hint at degraded audio quality).

Thank you for pointing out my error.

No problem. It’s not so much about pointing out an error, though. It’s about making sure the info out there is correct and to get you going with the 822