Custom Sound Creation

Ryan Williams

Hey all,

I'd like to have a custom sound (think the noise from The Vast of Night, as an example) created for use on an upcoming student film I'm helping shoot/produce.  I've never done anything like this before so I'm sort of lost as to what exactly I should be seeking out in terms of jobs/service, and also what I should expect to pay.  Could anyone offer any insights as to who I should look up (would it be sound engineer?), any specific recommendations for people or companies you all have, and how much I should expect to budget for this service.

TIA for any time, help, advice!  Cheers

Sounds like you are looking for a Sound Designer to recreate an unnatural sound if I understand your question correctly.

There may be some members on here that know more about this role, and expected rates, but it would be part of the Sound post production team. 

Will

Will, thanks for your reply.  Yes, I'm looking for a non-natural, SciFi'esque type of sound to be created.  Ideally I'd like to be able to use it during production for cues and such.  I'll try putting up a post in the post-pro section and see if it gets more traction there.  Cheers!