Ferrofish 16 pulse dx

nevo

Yes my wireless all lives in a remote "mini-cart" that I put on set (Lectrosonics Venues, Sennheiser G4 IEM, Comtek, and NDI video encoder), and cable back to my main cart via Dante. I use Wireless Designer on my cart to view the wireless information and control the Lectro receivers.

Sounds exact same setup as me....what are you using to convert your Scorpio X Outputs into Dante?

Do you use a USB to TCIP for remote control of Wireless designer

15 minutes ago, Rob Beal said:

Yes my wireless all lives in a remote "mini-cart" that I put on set (Lectrosonics Venues, Sennheiser G4 IEM, Comtek, and NDI video encoder), and cable back to my main cart via Dante. I use Wireless Designer on my cart to view the wireless information and control the Lectro receivers.

You don't need to do anything to convert the X outputs to Dante, you simply assign them in the Dante Output Routing page of the Scorpio menu. The Scorpio can output 32 Dante channels.

And yes I'm using a Silex DS-501 to convert USB to IP for Wireless Designer, but I find it a bit buggy on Mac OS Catalina, so I'm looking for another solution (or I may just roll my Mac Mini back to Mojave in the meantime, which is the last officially supported OS according to the Silex website).

The patchbay on the remote cart has both inputs and outputs, so I can use it however I need to. If I'm doing playback myself, my Mac Mini on my main cart feeds into my Scorpio via USB and I can send the outputs to the remote cart Ferrofish via Dante to feed speakers/earwigs on set. If I'm working with a separate playback/ProTools operator with their own cart, then they just feed the music and LTC tracks into my remote cart's inputs and it comes back to me via Dante.

I keep my VOG separate from my cart, it is a standalone system.

And yes the patchbay has BNC inputs for all my antennas (on a separate patchbay on the back), and an SDI video input that gets encoded to NDI.

The remote cart is powered by a Remote Audio LiFeBox that feeds a modified Hotstrip so it can switch seamlessly from AC power to DC and stay charged up. It can run for a full day on DC if needed. My main cart is powered by its own Meon.

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

That‘s a very well designed system, well done!

Thanks, when designing it I was a bit hesitant to commit to splitting my cart into two pieces, as I worried it would be slow and clunky moving two carts around instead of one, but I actually don’t mind it, and it makes me much more flexible. I can easily move the Zuca cart close to set or into a tight spot and then find a more private and comfortable spot for myself, which I appreciate a lot during Covid times. When on location I often stay in the comfort of my van. 
On my current show I’m actually mixing from my own private office next to stage (whenever we’re in studio at least). I was worried I would feel too removed from set, but there are ways to get around that. The video coordinator now provides a “spy cam” video feed during setups and blockings, we keep a spare mic built on a flexi arm that we stick on set, my crew and I have our own private comms to stay in touch with each other, and I monitor channel 1 of the public walkie to keep tabs on everything else. The ability to stay safe and even take my mask off for the majority of the day is a huge win for me. 

I’m sure once the threat of Covid is firmly in the rear view mirror I’ll be itching to get back in the thick of the action, but for now I’m really loving the setup. 

23 minutes ago, drpro said:

Rob, Dante I understand enough to be dangerous, completed Dante Level 1 course.  I am curious does one ethernet cable cover the Dante, Wireless Designer and video (NDI)?  

Or are three different cables required?

Tnx

David

One Ethernet cable is all that’s needed, you just need a switch to combine the signals. With such a simple network an unmanaged switch is probably fine (I tested it using one and didn’t encounter any issues), but to be safe I use a managed Cisco SG350 switch to make sure everything is rock solid and can handle the bandwidth. There are guides online to walk you through the optimal settings. 

Nice set up. 

I’ve been looking  at the “Fish” for some time now. The A32 Dante in particular. 

I have a question about your Cisco switch. Audinate recommend using switches that do not have EEE as it can cause problems with Dante. Or switching the EEE off an all ports if the switch has the ability to disable the EEE. 

Does your Cisco switch have the option of disabling the EEE on all ports of the switch? 

(EEE - Energy Efficient Ethernet aka Green Ethernet)

Thanks

Peter 

This is a diagram for a rig I built last year with the A32 Ferrofish in an 8 RU SKB case.

It's packed in with a 20aH battery and a 442 for hard lining mics if need be.

The biggest trick was getting the USB over IP Silex 510 system to be bulletproof so I could feed the telemetry for the Venues back to my mixer cart.

I've linked 400'+ of CAT 5 and it stayed stable overnight. That said, I've yet to need that long of a run.

It keeps me off set and is much easier than running antenna cable and also puts TC and return feeds right on set.

I use a Cisco SG 3000-10 switch on my mixer cart which dates back to PIX setups from my past. It works well and isn't maxing out the Netgear 5x switches I generally pepper around.

Hope this diagram helps.

SH

Set Forward.numbers-Routing.pdf

Way cool.  So when your folks patch in to the 442, they set a level for you there, and your input gain is matched to the 442's output so your meters track with its meters?  Very slick--that's a lot of mojo on one small cable.  You said that you haven't needed your 400' ethernet run yet--what is your typical run these days?

33 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

Way cool.  So when your folks patch in to the 442, they set a level for you there, and your input gain is matched to the 442's output so your meters track with its meters?  Very slick--that's a lot of mojo on one small cable.  You said that you haven't needed your 400' ethernet run yet--what is your typical run these days?

I have the 442 inputs roughed in to replicate the gains I start with on the wireless Booms to keep consistent gain structure. It can vary from there.

We can almost always pull it off with a 100' stick of CAT5/Ethercon but we carry 300' total between the mixer cart and set rack.

Here's some early pics from when I had the MM1 rather than the 442 when we were doing Bosch at the end of last year.

IMG_8640.pdf 1479467755_IMG_93292.pdf

17 hours ago, Peter Mega said:

Nice set up. 

I’ve been looking  at the “Fish” for some time now. The A32 Dante in particular. 

I have a question about your Cisco switch. Audinate recommend using switches that do not have EEE as it can cause problems with Dante. Or switching the EEE off an all ports if the switch has the ability to disable the EEE. 

Does your Cisco switch have the option of disabling the EEE on all ports of the switch? 

(EEE - Energy Efficient Ethernet aka Green Ethernet)

Thanks

Peter 

Yes you can disable EEE in the settings and that's one of the first things you should do.

On 3/20/2021 at 3:46 PM, Rob Beal said:

Thanks, when designing it I was a bit hesitant to commit to splitting my cart into two pieces, as I worried it would be slow and clunky moving two carts around instead of one, but I actually don’t mind it, and it makes me much more flexible. I can easily move the Zuca cart close to set or into a tight spot and then find a more private and comfortable spot for myself, which I appreciate a lot during Covid times. When on location I often stay in the comfort of my van. 
On my current show I’m actually mixing from my own private office next to stage (whenever we’re in studio at least). I was worried I would feel too removed from set, but there are ways to get around that. The video coordinator now provides a “spy cam” video feed during setups and blockings, we keep a spare mic built on a flexi arm that we stick on set, my crew and I have our own private comms to stay in touch with each other, and I monitor channel 1 of the public walkie to keep tabs on everything else. The ability to stay safe and even take my mask off for the majority of the day is a huge win for me. 

I’m sure once the threat of Covid is firmly in the rear view mirror I’ll be itching to get back in the thick of the action, but for now I’m really loving the setup. 

One Ethernet cable is all that’s needed, you just need a switch to combine the signals. With such a simple network an unmanaged switch is probably fine (I tested it using one and didn’t encounter any issues), but to be safe I use a managed Cisco SG350 switch to make sure everything is rock solid and can handle the bandwidth. There are guides online to walk you through the optimal settings. 

Hi Rob

Using the Dante with the NDI and wireless designer control ,Are you using Multicast flows?

Did you try this combined traffic on a unmanaged switch?

Nevo

Are you letting Dante select your clock master or using Preferred master/external sync?

18 hours ago, nevo said:

Hi Rob

Using the Dante with the NDI and wireless designer control ,Are you using Multicast flows?

Did you try this combined traffic on a unmanaged switch?

Nevo

Are you letting Dante select your clock master or using Preferred master/external sync?

No need for multicast flows, the Dante signals in my setup are only going between the Scorpio and the Ferrofish. I use managed switches (Cisco SG350) but I did test it with unmanaged switches and it worked fine, so I keep those around as backup in case my Cisco switches ever go down. It's worth noting that I use an NDI.HX video encoder which compresses the stream down to 8-20Mbps so it doesn't add much strain to the network. A full uncompressed NDI stream would be around 125Mbps. If you only have one stream that should still be fine as long as you have a good quality Gigabit switch, but you'd have to do your own tests to confirm.

I have my Scorpio set to be the clock master.