Ferrofish 16 pulse dx

nevo

Hi Rob.  Do you run your video and controllers on a separate VLAN from you Dante stream?

Separate VLANs on managed switches (SG300) really cleaned up a lot of messes on my rig with glitchy controllers (mixer controller, JoeCo remotes, and Grace remotes plus video).  In my case, the Dante stream was flooding the controllers and causing a lot of "bad behavior".

D.

2 hours ago, tourtelot said:

Hi Rob.  Do you run your video and controllers on a separate VLAN from you Dante stream?

Separate VLANs on managed switches (SG300) really cleaned up a lot of messes on my rig with glitchy controllers (mixer controller, JoeCo remotes, and Grace remotes plus video).  In my case, the Dante stream was flooding the controllers and causing a lot of "bad behavior".

D.

No, after doing a fair bit of research last summer (my knowledge of networking was essentially zero before this), I decided that my setup was small and simple enough that separate VLANs weren't required, as a robust switch like the Cisco SG3xx has enough bandwidth to handle it all without getting anywhere close to its limit. For the most part this has been true, as I've never had even a single hiccup in my Dante or NDI streams, but now that you've pointed out your experience, it makes me wonder if separate VLAN's may solve the issue I've been having where my Wireless Designer will occasionally disconnect or require a restart.

Now I'll have to decide if it's worth mucking about with VLANs to try to solve a fairly minor issue. Did you find them easy to setup? I don't know how much networking knowledge you have, but setting up multiple VLANs was sort of the point where I started to scratch my head and felt like a fish out of water.

Yes, that complete Yammy document got me 85% to setting up my rig so that it works without any issues.  Audinate's Brett in tech-support is awesome and the Audinate Level 1 and Level 2 certification training is way  worth the price ($0).  Like Rob, when I envisioned my Dante network rig, I knew zero about networking.  After six years, I know enough.  Haha.  I can not pass the Level 3 exam in many attempts.  It is about deep networking concepts and while I have learned something every time I go through the course, it just doesn't fit in my brain the correct way.  Not having the knowledge in the Level 3 material does not at all effect my AoIP network (closed) but those that are trying to put a big Dante network on the existing network of a venue, or combine with some other network (say a live PA setup) will need this deep stuff to make it work.  Good luck :)

D. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 5:24 AM, tourtelot said:

D.

Hi Douglas

Im about to do my wireless Dante build With lectro venues 

and Scorpio 

Are you using the Cisco sg300-10 12v non Poe switch?

if so what parameters did you need to configure? Or did it work ok out of the box

Wow, that's quite an open ended question.  I am using a bunch of 110v SG300 POE switches.  But my rig is not anything like a mixer might use for location sound recording.  I record music so my rig revolves around 32-track 24/96 recorders, preamps, large desks, producer station, cue mixes, monitor desk, video feeds, etc.

If you are looking for a good starting setup, you should read the Yamaha documentation listed above and I highly recommend taking the Dante training provided by Audinate, at east the first two levels.

That should get you started.

Dante is actually really easy to get started in and gets very complex after that.  You can run for years with the most basic setup, but there are thousands of ways to customize a setup to get exactly what you want.  That part is harder.

Doug

13 hours ago, tourtelot said:

Wow, that's quite an open ended question.  I am using a bunch of 110v SG300 POE switches.  But my rig is not anything like a mixer might use for location sound recording.  I record music so my rig revolves around 32-track 24/96 recorders, preamps, large desks, producer station, cue mixes, monitor desk, video feeds, etc.

If you are looking for a good starting setup, you should read the Yamaha documentation listed above and I highly recommend taking the Dante training provided by Audinate, at east the first two levels.

That should get you started.

Dante is actually really easy to get started in and gets very complex after that.  You can run for years with the most basic setup, but there are thousands of ways to customize a setup to get exactly what you want.  That part is harder.

Doug

Thanks

yep gone thru the audinate L1,L2 vids and read the Yamaha document....

waiting for a couple of bits to arrive and then I’ll build it and see if it works....

Ah, great start.  You should be in great shape to put together an awesome rig.

The funny thing?  Every time I set up my whole system, I alway figure out a new little trick to make it better.  This, as I get more comfortable with Dante as a whole "universe".  Very cool education.

D.

• 2 months later...

Wow guys, it looks like you’ve been through Dante’s Inferno and made it back 🤣

Totally new to it appart from connecting a laptop to a Yam mixer.

I am gonna do my google homework but just allow me to ask again so I can wake up, and in the right century:  you are indeed routing Dante audio signals 32ins and outs, 2x NDI video feeds, 2x USB feeds from the Lectrosonics receivers through network switches via one single CAT5 network cable and it works!!??

yes you are correct.

I just set my system up but then have gone onto a drama. and didnt feel confident enough to incorporate it quite yet.

I finish in 3 weeks and will then be hitting it hard trying to see how stable it is and fixing it if it breaks ,but from everyones experiance once you get it solid it works a treat.

It took me half a day with a friend who works in the theatre and has been using Dante for a few years and a call to a network engineer to configure everything and once it was working it all seemed to work well.

Thanks to all the people who gave me advice.

ill post photos etc in a month once ive spent some time with it.

On this job im on it would have been useful on so many occasions.

Nevo