MixPre 10t Headphone Jack Replacement

Ian Berman

Hi everyone,

I just bought the mixpre 10t ii last week, and on my first shoot (which got canceled before it even began, no less) I somehow managed to shear off the exterior of the headphone connector. No idea how this happened, and my headphone's 1/8" jack is not bent or damaged either. See the attached photos.

SD offered to fix it, but I won't have a recorder for 2 weeks and would have to pay for inbound shipping. They alternatively offered to send me a replacement part, but were specific in not being able to offer guidance on how to DIY the repair, which is understandable. Rather than take it to a reseller for repair and spend ~$75-150, I was wondering how simple this would be to DIY.

I'm honestly not too great at soldering, but I've made simple circuits with arduinos and the like before, and I've built a couple desktop computers. Wondering if anyone here has experience with a repair like this and can offer guidance, as I don't see many resources online.

Thanks!

vjVJxKL.jpg

UBsOKzo.jpg

On 3/18/2021 at 1:24 PM, Rick Reineke said:

Contact Sound Devices, they may know of someone in town that can do it. Otherwise you will have to send it to the mothership. I have never dissembled a MixPre and I do not know how difficult. Panel mount jacks in general can be relatively easy. PC mount is another story.

I did contact SD, they offered to fix it if I shipped it back to them, but 2 weeks + cost of insured shipping makes me think I should get it done locally or try to DIY if it's simple.

I live in New York and can get it repaired at Gotham Sound or another repair house. Sent over the same photos to them and waiting on a quote.

It may be PC mount based on these photos, but I'm not really sure. Attached is the only resource I can find online for a look at the internals:

Internal-Photos-3635481.pdf