pre amp suggestions for mkh50

headphoneguy

I have had some disappointing results with the MKH 50 except being hardwired to a mix pre. That mic came alive and was completely different. I have not had good results with any of my 6 series SD recorders. 

I look forward to hearing about preamps. 

I'm using it with a tascam dr-700 and the level is kind of disappointing, but it does sound good when cranked up in post, it's a cheap recorder and it really needs a lot of gain to get a good level, I got a sanken csm1 as my outdoor mic which seems much louder, I've been considering a mix-pre, I noticed the next tascam up has aes/ebu inputs, on the other hand I can get an xlr addon for my camera which would mean no messing around lining clips up later

16 hours ago, newzhack said:

I have had some disappointing results with the MKH 50 except being hardwired to a mix pre. That mic came alive and was completely different. I have not had good results with any of my 6 series SD recorders. 

I look forward to hearing about preamps. 

Could you find a Sonosax M2D2 in your region and try it out? 

I really like the Rupert Neve Designs 500 series module preamp. It's called 511. It's pretty clean without being sterile, and well – there's just something wonderful about the sound. The variable high-pass filter is very handy, and – compared to other 500-series module preamps – the price is not too bad. Especially for what you get. It's got a colouring circuit with variable settings. If you're interested in working more with different kinds of colouring of the sound, the TK-audio SP501 and the Cranborne Audio Camden 500 might also be worth looking into. For absolute "clean" there's the Weiss A1. It's pricey, and/but it's got a built in de-esser. If you want to go 19", ELBERG-ELT is a good bet. Elberg used to make the consoles for the Danish Public Broadcaster, before they went digital. He makes a stereo preamp "clean"-style called MP2, and a "mojo" one with a built in EQ called 1073. Great build quality, great sound, and relatively friendly prices. In the field I use my MKH-50 with a Sonosax R4 recorder, with very pleasing results ... and/but for sound quality / versatility / price – the Sonosax M2D2 seems like a very good way to go.

thanks, yes the m2d2 looks interesting, being able to plug it into a cellphone for recording seems good, but I have no idea how reliable that would be, with my android phone "not very" I'd guess ;) I'd seen the camden 500, I'll take a look at the others, I was considering the rupert neve portico 5017 for a while, but thought maybe 2 mic inputs would be better than 1 mic and 1 instrument

If I hadn't already bought a second Schoeps I would be trying to use my MKH 50. I have a new small bag with a mix pre 6 if I need to do any bagwork. Think I will pair it with that kit. 

I did one bag job with the mix pre and MKH 50. It was a wireless feed I used Sony digital for the hop. Since it was single system I used the highest bit and sample rate just as an experiment. I will try to find the audio, it was amazing.