How loud is the RED KOMODO?

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Conor said:

Did a short film with one a month ago and it was quiet. One of the more friendly Red cameras - watch out for the new 9-pin Lemo input for TC though.

Shooting on a Komodo next week and the owner/operator doesn't have a TC breakout cable. Oh well no TC for production. Have offered to put TC on one of the audio tracks via an ERX but waiting on the editor to get back to us on that. 

Have to say the Komodo manual is less than helpful. 

2 hours ago, Nate C said:

Shooting on a Komodo next week and the owner/operator doesn't have a TC breakout cable. Oh well no TC for production. Have offered to put TC on one of the audio tracks via an ERX but waiting on the editor to get back to us on that. 

9-pin breakout ..... fun

On 6/23/2021 at 3:08 AM, Nate C said:

People like this aggravate the hell out of me.  I say this as a cameraman and owner/operator with hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment: If your camera requires something other than full-sized 3-pin XLR or BNC connections for audio and TC, then it is YOUR responsibility to own or otherwise provide the necessary cables, if the camera needs to receive either one (or both) of those two things.  Period.  Full Stop.

On 6/27/2021 at 5:13 AM, RunAndGun said:

People like this aggravate the hell out of me.  I say this as a cameraman and owner/operator with hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment: If your camera requires something other than full-sized 3-pin XLR or BNC connections for audio and TC, then it is YOUR responsibility to own or otherwise provide the necessary cables, if the camera needs to receive either one (or both) of those two things.  Period.  Full Stop.

Agreed, it's ridiculous. I got a similar response from the camera gearhouse they were renting the Komodo kit from. I work for one of the bigger sound gear rental companies in my city and we don't even keep up with all the new Red Lemos. It's really camera's responsibility at this point

• 3 weeks later...

So... I finished 24 days of shooting with two Red Komodos and I have to say, this camera is not loud at all. Sometimes, when we were shooting inside and the camera was really close to the actors, I could hear its fan one the boom and on the lavs, but it was silent enough to be acceptabel even for my psm ears. So, yeah, the people at RED finally figured it out... it took some years and many complaints...

---

This 9-pin Lemo thing is weird, but the friendly people at Ambient explained to me: you can send TC-Sync and Gen-Lock info simultaneously through that 9-pin (if you have the right Lockit and cable). So, that could be helpful, if needed. The Komodos we worked with both had a "Modern Film Tools Horseshoe" plate connected to it  https://www.modernfilmtools.com/shop/mft-horseshoe-top-plate-for-red-komodo This break out box has a 5-pin Lemo similar to the Arri Alexa, and it worked fine with my NanoLockit.

• 5 months later...
On 7/19/2021 at 7:50 PM, Cheesy said:

So... I finished 24 days of shooting with two Red Komodos and I have to say, this camera is not loud at all. Sometimes, when we were shooting inside and the camera was really close to the actors, I could hear its fan one the boom and on the lavs, but it was silent enough to be acceptabel even for my psm ears. So, yeah, the people at RED finally figured it out... it took some years and many complaints...

---

This 9-pin Lemo thing is weird, but the friendly people at Ambient explained to me: you can send TC-Sync and Gen-Lock info simultaneously through that 9-pin (if you have the right Lockit and cable). So, that could be helpful, if needed. The Komodos we worked with both had a "Modern Film Tools Horseshoe" plate connected to it  https://www.modernfilmtools.com/shop/mft-horseshoe-top-plate-for-red-komodo This break out box has a 5-pin Lemo similar to the Arri Alexa, and it worked fine with my NanoLockit.

Exept from RedOne, there has always been a solution out there but most of the sound guys never bothered about it and prefered to complain about RED's. Supposely it's more fun to complain than to do something.