Viviana Cloud and Sound Devices

On 4/12/2021 at 6:10 AM, Constantin said:

Yes of course, and I‘m sure it’ll have its value, but I don’t accept the implication that without Viviana Cloud the Ozark guy would have had to drive to the post house. He still could have used a cloud upload

What do you mean by implication? Of course it happened. And yes, it did make my life easier. “The Ozark guy”

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 2:04 PM, FLIPSTER said:

What do you mean by implication? Of course it happened. And yes, it did make my life easier. “The Ozark guy”

That‘s not what I said at all. The implication in the original quote was that you made it sound like uploading your files wouldn’t have been possible had it not been for Viviana cloud. That’s the implication I don’t accept. Of course I don’t doubt that you actually used and that it helped you, but you could have used other options, too, that wouldn’t even require any additional hardware. 

By the way, had some reluctance watching the Ozark at first, but then got quite into it. Certainly always great sound!

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

That‘s not what I said at all. The implication in the original quote was that you made it sound like uploading your files wouldn’t have been possible had it not been for Viviana cloud. That’s the implication I don’t accept. Of course I don’t doubt that you actually used and that it helped you, but you could have used other options, too, that wouldn’t even require any additional hardware. 

Of course you can mail a SSD or a SD card or you can use an off the shelf cloud upload service.

The tricky part is doing it in a more secure way. I am sure you have heard terror stories about databases with personal data left exposed on Amazon's S3 service for example.

Offering a lot of storage room and bandwidth is not an issue, but a set of configurable access rights in order to accomodate a certain workflow can be very cumbersome to implement with common storage software, requiring a lot of manual work. 

Imagine for example a fine grained system in which the camera department can upload raw footage, sound can upload sound recordings, none of them can mess with the other department's files, post has access to both but can't destroy them either, still photography can also upload photos that production office will approve so that the publicity agency can download them, dailies are made available to the right parties...

I think I mentioned it on another thread. I work for an ISP and a couple of years ago we set up a shared storage system for a Spanish production company. It was quite complex to accomodate all these requirements with camera, sound, fx, sound post, lab, stills, publicity, etc and not having especially designed software to do that. The trivial part was to offer the required TB of storage with good disk redundancy and a lot of bandwidth. 

6 hours ago, borjam said:

Of course you can mail a SSD or a SD card or you can use an off the shelf cloud upload service.

as I understand it, Viviana Cloud is currently using Dropbox as a cloud service. I can do the same (if I wanted to), by copying the daily folder from the recorder to my phone and upload it to whichever cloud service I want to, including the one the production company asks me to use. That is currently actually more flexible than what Viviana has to offer. 
I understand that their interface offers more than mere upload capabilities, the software in particular may or may not make this very useful. But the actual upload facility itself is not the special part - as I currently see it. That’s  what I was trying to point out before

10 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I understand that their interface offers more than mere upload capabilities, the software in particular may or may not make this very useful

That's the idea (I don't work for Viviana). In our case we set up a FreeNAS server with 10 or 20 TB of storage (I don't remember) and  a clean 1 Gbps connection to our backbone. Had the need arised, we wouldn't have trouble to give it 10 Gbps.

That was the trivial part. User management was a bit crazy, however.

Also, I've seen a photo of a box with a USB connector on the soundonset.com website. So I guess the box emulates a thumb drive used to copy the files. Looks quite convenient if it works. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have also been lucky to Beta test for it. I currently use it mainly as a back up. I have drop box which I pay a monthly fee for. At the end of a shoot day I give them my card. But when I get home I back it up to the cloud and email a link to production just saying here is a back up just incase.

The whole system works well, the app and backing it up, it’s all pretty straight forward. And nice having the files on your phone to access at anytime. I really only use it with WiFi. I don’t do the cell phone thing because not sure if you are all aware, Canada has expensive plans that don’t offer much. So transferring data over a cell phone would get eaten up pretty quick.

I also recently forgot to send a sound report on a job I easily went into Viviana Cloud made a new one from the day I missed and sent it off.

ive been very happy with it and I plan to continue to use it.

• 5 months later...

Hi everybody, we just released the base Viviana Cloud app on Android and the NEW Viviana Cloud app PRO on iOS.

New features on Viviana Cloud app PRO are:

— Convert BWF files into .MP3 files, preserving metadata and timecode;
– Convert individual tracks into .WAV format;
– See real-time waveforms for each track;
– Solo or mute individual tracks;
– Change volume and pan for each track

Hope these could be useful!

Looking forward to hear your thoughts about it!

Thanks a lot

930E5E4D-C7DA-4C18-8E41-A3B41F22D003.JPG

F6B2479F-A763-4EF6-9270-4F08F9F6A99B.JPG

88933DF2-3894-4800-A356-1B2AE0385B31.JPG

EA2C6469-9C85-4948-90D9-587506267EA4.JPG