DPA 4097 micro blimp?

Erin Bliss

I use that Rycote windjammer with my 4097, it’s.....ok. Doesn’t always feel like it’s secure, there’s a snap like button that sorta holds if you get it just right. I really wish there was another option. I did pickup some Bubblebee Industries “Piece of Fur” to DIY something better....

Hmm, don’t have one (and prob never will) but is it not a question of the air around it optimising the successfulness? So a BBG or similar would be a good outdoor choice (long enough - I think so?) otherwise, going thinner, a ‘lightwave’ tube with windjammer? Yep I know this is not much help (ie there probably isn’t a ready made suspension with windshield option available) but I reckon it’s diy... possibly just a softie with a little extra foam for suspension and the softie attached somehow to the boom? Like I might do with 4060s (albeit not booming..!) ???

Jez

• 7 months later...

I have not compared or listened to any of them. I only applied the bubblebee thing. Not a fan of it, even when handling it, neither was the location mixer on that shoot who was IIRC not happy with the wind protection. So I just expected the 4097 to be great mics in windless vehicle/plant situations when I bought mine. And they are.

19 minutes ago, DanieldH said:

I have not compared or listened to any of them. I only applied the bubblebee thing. Not a fan of it, even when handling it, neither was the location mixer on that shoot who was IIRC not happy with the wind protection. So I just expected the 4097 to be great mics in windless vehicle/plant situations when I bought mine. And they are.

Do you mean the windkiller product or the piece-a-fur as mentioned previously in the thread?

9 hours ago, EnotsMedia said:

The Rycote wind jammer did NOT work at all for me. Totally film flam. NEVER stayed on,  BUT that Bubblebee 4097 SE is the the JAM. Easy to use, and great wind protection. 

Interesting….

Indeed.

I had not watched bubblebees video tutorial at the time and until yesterday and that might be an explanation for the unsatisfactory results as well as my difficulties handling it. It is not an intuitive thing and even Caleb Hill is fumbling quite a bit wile explaining what needs to be done to apply it.

So, watch this before using it:

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Paul Katzman said:

The wind killer is useless. I bought two and it was a waste of money. Most disappointing bubblebee product I’ve ever bought. 😕

Paul, even after following the (not self-evident) mounting steps in the video Daniel posted above? That video may help avoid some potential problems...

I'm not challenging your experience, just trying to figure out if the 4097 with a Windkiller will be useful to me...

Thanks!