Jump to content

Sound Devices Scorpio or Cantar X3


tonvogt
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I've always thought an HDMI port on a recorder would be a nifty thing to have. 
So you can send an exact live copy of what is on the recorder's screen to any size and any type of screen (so long as the other screen has an HDMI input. Of course, an SDI output on the recorder would be even nicer to have!). 

 

Maybe they can do an SSL 80's throwback and bring back the Studio Computer interface.  Might have to dust off your 5.25" floppy drives though to save your presets.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/media/2020/02/Original-SSL-Total-Recal.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Derek H said:

Yes this would be great. But they’ve all opted for app control which is more useful in some ways but problematic in others. 

App control is great too! 


But that's a little different to simply blowing up to a bigger screen what's already on your recorder's built in monitoring screen. 

And you could still use both together, a big screen for viewing, and an app in your hand for quick controls. 

15 hours ago, johngooch said:

X3 Cantars can now do VNC connection-- so you can mirror your screen to tablet or computer..    

That's fantastic! Seems almost every week I learn something new and cool that the Cantar X3 / Mini can do. (am beginning to understand why people choose them!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2021 at 10:29 AM, IronFilm said:

I've always thought an HDMI port on a recorder would be a nifty thing to have. 
So you can send an exact live copy of what is on the recorder's screen to any size and any type of screen (so long as the other screen has an HDMI input. Of course, an SDI output on the recorder would be even nicer to have!). 

 


Yes, exactly. A mini HDMI wouldn’t even take up much space. X3 has the DVI port, so that’s something in favour of the X3...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

App control is great too! 


But that's a little different to simply blowing up to a bigger screen what's already on your recorder's built in monitoring screen. 

And you could still use both together, a big screen for viewing, and an app in your hand for quick controls. 

That's fantastic! Seems almost every week I learn something new and cool that the Cantar X3 / Mini can do. (am beginning to understand why people choose them!)

You should hear the sound of Cantar ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First of all thank you to all your answers and information about the recorder options.
I have orderend the Scorpio with CL-16 and XL-AES now.
Both recorders definitely have their advantages and the decision was really difficult. I hope, that the Scorpio and CL-16 will get some more features in the future to make it even better.

In the end I chose the Scorpio because of the following points:
-Plug-Ins like Noise-Assist / Cedar
-The CL-16 seems like a great controller with a lot of features to make my life easier
-I'm already used to Sound Devices so it will be easier to understand the machine
-arm/disarm mid-take
-my local store sells them and has a really good repairshop/they don't sell Cantar
-the price

What I would love to see added in the future would be:
-more AES inputs (I guess not possible, but maybe Dante is the way to go)
-The option to mirror the screen of the scorpio on the right part of the screen of the CL-16 or on an additional screen/tablet
-playback integration

There will probably be some more ideas coming up when I start using the recorder.

Thank you all!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, tonvogt said:

What I would love to see added in the future would be:
-more AES inputs (I guess not possible, but maybe Dante is the way to go)

Form Sounddevices SL-2 introduction:

"The SL-2 is the first model of a new range of SuperSlot™-based accessories which bring integrated multichannel wireless to the 8-Series"

 

I'd guess, they'll come up with an SL-3 or even bigger thing hosting 3+ MCR54s in Superslots. The 40pins of the SL-2/XL-AES proprietary connection may suggest, there is room for more AES-inputs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Hi colleagues, for me Cantar X3 would be an interesting option against Sound Devices, partly since introduction of Dante. Anyone from you already experienced AUDIO connection of X3 via dante ? It would be nice to see it working with any existing receiver superslot wireless enclosures as SD A10-rack or Wisycom MRK16 ! _I Haven´t found any working real life connections yet on www. 

Thanks

Martin

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Martin Lonek said:

Hi colleagues, for me Cantar X3 would be an interesting option against Sound Devices, partly since introduction of Dante. Anyone from you already experienced AUDIO connection of X3 via dante ? It would be nice to see it working with any existing receiver superslot wireless enclosures as SD A10-rack or Wisycom MRK16 ! _I Haven´t found any working real life connections yet on www. 

Thanks

Martin

 

 

Stephan Bucher use the combination of A-10 Rack - Dante - Aaton X3 as shown below (lovely setup anyway):

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...