SD 302 feeding three cameras

berniebeaudry

I've got a three camera shoot (two person sit down interview) coming up and need to get ready.  We're recording sound to the cameras.  This is the info I have so far but it may change since I've gone from talking to the production manager to the DP and am awaiting some answers.  One camera just needs a mono reference track and I'm assuming it will be a wide two shot.  The camera shooting the interviewee will need discrete lav/ boom channels, and the camera on the interviewer will have a discrete lav only track.  I also have to do transcription w/timcode on a digital recorder.

So if the track assignments remain the way I've described them, what is my best plan to provide three different tracks to the two cameras?  I know the direct outs of a 442 would work but I am having trouble finding one to rent.  I might have a better chance of getting an additional 302 to link with mine.  Then I could output the lone lav out of one channel of the first 302 and then output the lav/boom tracks from the two channels of the second one.  Monitoring the camera with the interviewer's mic would be clunky but not too bad.  If I panned the lone lav to the center I could put the second output of the first mixer into one channel of the second 302 (instead of linking) and use the prefade listen position to hear that channel without feeding it out to camera. I'm thinking this out as I type so if you have an idea other than two mixers please let me know.  I've got some money to spend but can't swing getting a 442 just yet.  I'm open to any ideas for the entire work flow.  I've got four Lecro 211 systems as well.  Two which will be used for the interview participants.

Thanks,

Bernie 

I have done this before...get a SD744T and take the line outs of the 302 to feed one camera..the tape outs from the 302 feed the 744T and their line outs feed the second camera. The recording on the 744t can be used for the transcription and gives you a syncable track for the third camera.A clapperboard syncs all cameras.

In any work situation you will want to strive to give the client what they want, if possible.

Still, I have found that my clients are usually happy if they have audio to the primary camera and not concerned about audio to additional cameras. They simply activate the on-board mike to provide a scratch track that can assist in matching the #2 camera visuals to the #1 camera audio. Editors say they accomplish this quickly and easily. Proper slates do help.

My work is almost always scripted and shot under controlled (more or less) conditions. Work on a free-wheeling documentary might have different priorities. But it sounds like the situation here is a controlled shoot. You might ask how important it is to feed each and every camera if you supply the main camera. Try to speak with the editor or post supervisor directly. The producer might be inclined to ask for the sun and the moon just out of ignorance of the actual technical requirements.

David Waelder

Got an update and its not as complex as I envisioned.  Looks like they want the interviewee and interviewer lav mixed to channel two with the boom by itself on channel one.  My main concern was how to feed discrete tracks of each source without direct outs.  ie: three outputs instead of two.  I can use two line level splitters to get the two ouputs to two or all three cameras.  Just want to do what previous soundies did on this on ongoing doc so I don't have post having to reinvent the wheel for me.  For the transcription I can then send the lav mix to one channel and time code to the other on the two track recorder. Thanks all for your responses.  I appreciate it.

Bernie

I don't like this business of treating the various tracks of multiple cameras as a multitrack audio deck.  There really isn't any reason to do this anymore for a decent sized setup (on a table or cart) with Boom Recorder and interfaces being so cheap--that can get them the isos and you can send the same split (boom/lav) mix from your 302 to 3 cameras easily with a pair of Whirlwind etc 3 way transformer splitters.  For a quick and dirty split I made Y outputs for some of the wireless RX in my bag--(at line level), the 2nd leg runs thru an inline transformer to another camera--set levels before you start, be conservative.  This worked well for 2 cameras.

Philip Perkins

I don't like this business of treating the various tracks of multiple cameras as a multitrack audio deck.  There really isn't any reason to do this anymore for a decent sized setup (on a table or cart) with Boom Recorder and interfaces being so cheap--that can get them the isos and you can send the same split (boom/lav) mix from your 302 to 3 cameras easily with a pair of Whirlwind etc 3 way transformer splitters.  For a quick and dirty split I made Y outputs for some of the wireless RX in my bag--(at line level), the 2nd leg runs thru an inline transformer to another camera--set levels before you start, be conservative.  This worked well for 2 cameras.

Philip Perkins

I agree.  Turns out they're not requiring isos, that was me speculating what they wanted to do with the sources.  I'm going to get two of the splitters you mentioned and give them the boom on one channel and the two lavs mixed on the other channel on all three cameras.  The recording will be to a two channel digital recorder and will be for transcription only.  Since I'm recording both channels on all three cameras I'm not going to do any other back up recording. I'm coming into an already established work flow so I need to be consistant with what already been done.

Thanks,

Bernie

• 3 months later...