Small Capsule Condenser

Trey

I think at that price point most people are probably using the Oktava MK-012. The next step up would be something like the Audix SCX1-HC or similar. It seems like used prices on the Audix are close to the price of the Oktava new; a lot of people have said handling noise on the Oktava can be a challenge.

I get where you're coming from- I use a vintage AKG 451 with a CK-3 hypercardioid capsule for indoor booming and the CK-8 for outdoor. Not the best but it works, I'll upgrade when/if the self noise becomes an issue.

I've been using the Audix SCX1-HC for a few years now and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

For a $500.00 HC mic, IMHO you won't do better. Often referred to as the "poor mans Schoeps", it's not as good

obviously but pretty impressive for the money.

I second the Okatava, the modded sample I reviewed was very prone to handling noise and pretty microphonic.

Not a bad sounding mic but not practical for hand booming I thought.

I own a Schoeps CMCMK41 and the Audio Technica 4053B. They both sound great and when I need to double boom i use them side by side. The Schoeps has a slightly warmer tone and never harsh. Under normal circumstances i can eq the mics to sound great and indistinguishable. I purchased the AT new and the Schoeps used. For $550 i recommend the AT. You won't regret it.

It is my experience that you should stay away from mics with aluminum tubes. Stick with brass tubes.

No RF issues at all with my senn 816, 416, Schoeps CMC and AT 4053 mics.

I have used the Schoeps CMIT 5 and had rf issues when i get too close to HMI ballasts and fluorescent light ballasts. Very light weight mic and not brass.

One I have wanted to try is the Line Audio CM4.  Very reasonable price of less than 150usd.  Very small. The suggested uses are with various acoustic instruments.  Would love to give it a try with dialog.

It is very small, about the size of an XLR connector.

drpro: "One I have wanted to try is the Line Audio CM4"

I have a CM4 currently connected thru a Golden Age 73 preamp to my laptop for Zoom sessions.  The mount is a 15" tall desktop stand with a 30" arm, and the mic is held on the arm with a Line Audio CMEH shock mount purchased with the mics, distance ~12-18" from my mouth.  I've used this mic previously paired with a second CM4 to record acoustic guitar practice (not played by me!).  Both applications sound clear and present recorded with Audacity or into a Zoom F8n.  I have a less used pair of OM1 omni mics.  The vendor would select mic pairs to closely match.  Total for 4 mics was $590, with CMEH mounts, local tax, and shipping from the EU.

I can recommend the MBHO (Haun) modular system.

But there's a problem of missing info on the web unfortunately.

But the Audix SCX1 series is nothing than a MBHO made modular microphone made for Audix.

I have cadioid and hyper card capsules plus a figure8 capsule for the same small amp body.

I like them all and use them for some month now.

They all live on standard Rycote Inv-6 or similar shockmounts and baskets.

Recommended definitely!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 10:40 PM, drpro said:

One I have wanted to try is the Line Audio CM4.  Very reasonable price of less than 150usd.  Very small. The suggested uses are with various acoustic instruments.  Would love to give it a try with dialog.

It is very small, about the size of an XLR connector.

Yeah, now I want to try one as well! Looks like a winner for sure. I cannot find a dealer. I guess you have to order them direct.

You can order the Lime Audio mics from nohypeaudio. They are very responsive and friendly. And active on audio forums. 

https://www.nohypeaudio.com

Remember that the CM4 can be a bit sensitive to handling noise and a really good suspension and cable relief is needed. 

Look as rycote lyre 62. 
Either separate mounted on invision base of choice or the new Invision INV-6 Soft which comes with lyre 62 soft.