80/20 cart with "big wheels". Trying to isolate a part for the wheel assembly.

LTParis

I am a wedding DJ that takes a serious interest in ceremony sound. For some time now I have been loading up a Muver6 folding cart to house 2 to 3 SKB cases along with battery power, a pelican case, and a cable bag, and I am trying to get a bit more streamlined. What is funny is that I started thinking of a "big wheel" cart for this use before I was even aware that many pro film and other sound engineers have been doing this for a number of years.

I ran across a thread here from way back in 2012 that more or less touches on the concept I am thinking about 

I work with modularity in mind. I have two mic "boxes" that I can go hot with up to 8 mics. Although the usual scenario is 2-3. But I can always expand. Also if my main digital mixing box or IEM fails on one, I have another identical box I can swap with. Always trying to think ahead.

I want to have a platform made of 80/20 T-Slot that my cases can fit on and secure onto the frame. I may also attach a mic stand or something similar to hoist up my directional fin. The biggest hurdle I feel I am facing is to properly secure down an axel assembly for my wheels. I stumbled across this that happened to be on an 80/20 profile but for the life of me cannot find the origin thread. I am assuming this was custom-made. But something of this nature would likely be the best fit.

I am of course up for suggestions on what to use to complete the design.

IMG_8039.thumb.JPG.32ce1dfadaea6161c776dd9494554353.jpg

The easy way to do it is to use the 1x2 profile (as shown in  your picture) which has a hole though the middle of it that will take a solid rod though it. In that picture, where the rod comes out (you don't need the end cap that is shown in the picture), add as many washers as needed to provide clearance from the cart (it depends on how far your wheel axle sticks out. Mine uses 2 washers). On the outside of the wheel, put another washer and drill a hole in the axle for a cotter pin on the outside of the washer. Very simple and just requires a metal saw and a drill.

It looks like a nice bit of stainless rod in that picture, but you can use aluminum for the way I did it (no threads). If I recall correctly, the hole is big enough for a 5/8" rod, which is a common axle size for the cart wheels.

Buy wheels with built-in bearings.

1x2 extrusion - https://www.tnutz.com/product/ex-1020/

[edit] Update - here is the thread you are looking for. No more information other than the end cap and axle are custom made as suspected by Derek. Perhaps contact 100sideprojects who made the parts.

19 hours ago, Paul F said:

The easy way to do it is to use the 1x2 profile (as shown in  your picture) which has a hole though the middle of it that will take a solid rod though it. In that picture, where the rod comes out (you don't need the end cap that is shown in the picture), add as many washers as needed to provide clearance from the cart (it depends on how far your wheel axle sticks out. Mine uses 2 washers). On the outside of the wheel, put another washer and drill a hole in the axle for a cotter pin on the outside of the washer. Very simple and just requires a metal saw and a drill.

It looks like a nice bit of stainless rod in that picture, but you can use aluminum for the way I did it (no threads). If I recall correctly, the hole is big enough for a 5/8" rod, which is a common axle size for the cart wheels.

Buy wheels with built-in bearings.

1x2 extrusion - https://www.tnutz.com/product/ex-1020/

[edit] Update - here is the thread you are looking for. No more information other than the end cap and axle are custom made as suspected by Derek. Perhaps contact 100sideprojects who made the parts.

Thanks for finding that OG thread. I am going to reach out to 100sideprojects to see if I can get a bit more info on their build.

• 3 weeks later...

What I did on my 8020 cart was to use 15-15 in general and then 15-30 for the axle.

Cotter pins are used so that there is NO chance of a wheel nut unthreading. A bad lesson to be learned there unless you reverse thread one side like bike pedals.

I used a simple 5/8" piece of solid steel for the axle which I then wrapped to snug it in tight in the top of the 2 holes in the 15-30.  It's nice to be able to use the 2 holes vertically so you can adjust the height if need be.

Hopefully the pic I zoomed in on shows some of what I'm referring to.

Again, nuts on axles are a bad idea. Just sayin.

SH

IMG_9773.pdf IMG_D30947E031EE-1.pdf