Follow Cart Work Light

saadasound

I'm looking for a hinging or articulating arm long LED light bar to light my follow cart work surface. I've seen something from Chindha that would mount to a rack unit, but would need something bigger. Would be lighting a 36" wide work surface. I thought about using a piece of 8020 or a putting a channel in a nice piece of hardwood and gluing an LED strip light in it. Somehow inserting a 1/4 20 threaded insert and attaching to a cinearm or articulating arm. Any ideas?

A long LED light bar presents obvious issues when using an articulating arm. Why do you have a preference for the LED strip?  Would a single light work if it was bright enough? I'm thinking there are plenty of gooseneck and other articulating lights available that can be  adapted to the cart. How is the cart constructed? That helps understand what sort of mountings will work with the cart.

Have you been window shopping on Amazon, yet?  I just picked up a new flexible arm USB LED light for one of my bags, that has ON/OFF and three power levels.  Obviously you are looking for something much bigger, but my point is, Amazon has an almost limitless selection, if you have the patience.  

The next questions  are:

- How many LED watts do you think you need or can you budget? 

- What is your power source? 12V?

Goosenecks are ok, but they tend to be pretty low lumens. I use a 12V mixing console light that is mounted via XLR. I made up my own mount. It's fine for my bag/small cart, but I don't think it's enough for what you may have in mind.

Some of these could be adapted to a baby pin. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=12v+led+gooseneck&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

are you on a show presently? i find that the sets dept often carries rolls of led lighting, these days. the camera dept that i am presently working with uses these arms for their custom made lights: https://ulcs.com the lights they have stay in place when they move their cards from set to set (i often use these arms for my smallhd monitors). if the electrics or sets can't help you with light strips, these folks sell components individually, including aluminum channel material, dimmers, connectors: https://www.leevalley.com/en-gb/hardware/led-lighting both the arms and the lighting source mentioned above, are not cheap, but you won't end up with something disposable. the longest light i've seen on set is 30", but you could start out with 36" and cut it down if it doesn't work

So, it's not the cheapest solution, but, have you considered the Aputure MC? The back is magnetic, it has a 1/4"-20 Female thread on the bottom, charges wirelessly or over USB-C. Fully controllable as far as light temp and intensity are concerned. if you're on a show right now they might have some you could check out. I just got two in the mail today after being on a short with them for a few days. My plan is to mount one to the top of my cart with a Dinkum clamp and use the other to magnet to the underside of the deck of my cart to light cases, drawers, the surrounding floor. 

https://www.adorama.com/apmrrgbl.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9_mDBhCGARIsAN3PaFP-tGRNeDe1X1AqNr3py_TtWbJVsIziTaqSD3dcFoXVqAKQrDA7GbEaAivmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&utm_source=nmpi-google-dsa