Proto Deepfake Audio

syncsound

Still early days, but I imagine that once this tech improves, it might serve as a replacement for some ADR. I would have to assume that SAG would include language to limit its use, but for indies and for general walla, those might someday serve as a kind of "stock footage", or even a plugin:

https://www.aflorithmic.ai/post/creating-einsteins-voice

While I don't think this particular example is very good at all, I know that the tech is getting better. I could see algorithms getting good enough where as long as a guide track is recorded on set to capture the actor's performance/intention, AI could synthesize or sample the timbre and recreate everything to sound exactly as they want, with designers tweaking things like perspective, reverb and EQ. Any thoughts on how this tech could affect our job security? I'm not fear-mongering, just genuinely curious. I love this for ADR. Not so much to replace production sound.

This is some of the same tech that makes XR and Unity stages possible.  I have thought the kind of thing you describe (grab a BS track on the set, AI it into usable dialog sound) was coming for a long time--it's taken long than I thought to get here.  Yes, it will definitely affect the jobs of dialog recordists the same way XR stages affect the jobs of property and set people, location scouts, moho drivers etc etc..

26 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

This is some of the same tech that makes XR and Unity stages possible.  I have thought the kind of thing you describe (grab a BS track on the set, AI it into usable dialog sound) was coming for a long time--it's taken long than I thought to get here.  Yes, it will definitely affect the jobs of dialog recordists the same way XR stages affect the jobs of property and set people, location scouts, moho drivers etc etc..

Is XR the Dome LED stage they use on The Mandolorian with the Unreal Engine?