Trouble with signal and power distribution for mcr54

yizhye20

I am looking for an all-in-one rack mount solution since my client wants a more compact solution for a 4 MCR54 system. I was looking at the a10 rack, and it seems like there is no chance to output 16channels from what I know. However, on its website. they said

A single pair of antennas can be used for up to 16 audio channels.

So I am assuming it makes be able to output more than eight channels. 

I know there is an MRK16 coming out later this year but based on current states from Wisycom. I don't see any possibility for me to get it no later than next year. Or is there anything else that can to a signal and power distribution for mcr54?

131618890007_.pic_hd.jpg

If AES output is fine, the PSC Multi SR may be worth a look.

EDIT: I'd also humbly assume, that the A10 would output 16ch of AES audio via the XLR outputs. I'd request some pre sales support though, also with the PSC Multi SR 12. Both products predate the MCR54. The MCR54 analog vs digital outputs are set in the menu. Analog channel 2 corresponds with AES CH3/4 and that AES pair would be send the same path within the units wiring scheme.

the A10 rack can only output 8 channels of audio per rack. i dont believe it has the hardware to support 4 channels of audio per slot.

if you loop the antenna input of one rack to another, that will give you the 16 channels of audio with one pair of antennas. the bit you were quoting from was in the RF distribution part of the specs.

8 hours ago, DanieldH said:

If AES output is fine, the PSC Multi SR may be worth a look.

EDIT: I'd also humbly assume, that the A10 would output 16ch of AES audio via the XLR outputs. I'd request some pre sales support though, also with the PSC Multi SR 12. Both products predate the MCR54. The MCR54 analog vs digital outputs are set in the menu. Analog channel 2 corresponds with AES CH3/4 and that AES pair would be send the same path within the units wiring scheme.

I was looking at the PSC 6 pack. Not sure If I can determinate how which channel can transfer from the Superslot and which one can go with the top panel.  

4 hours ago, rich said:

if you loop the antenna input of one rack to another, that will give you the 16 channels of audio with one pair of antennas.

This totally answers my question.

There is a PSC RF Multi SR 12 Pack that has 6 slots now.  I'm not entirely sure though that it is capable of outputting AES via the TA3's but I think it might be able to?  Best to contact PSC directly but it would be a nice box as it also acts as a power distro too.

8 hours ago, rich said:

the A10 rack can only output 8 channels of audio per rack. i dont believe it has the hardware to support 4 channels of audio per slot.

if you loop the antenna input of one rack to another, that will give you the 16 channels of audio with one pair of antennas. the bit you were quoting from was in the RF distribution part of the specs.

Are you saying, that the A10 can not pass pins 2,3,15,16 + some ground from the MCR54 DB25-connection to the XLR output and that 8 AES pairs (=16 channels auf audio) are not possible?

i am saying that i do not believe that the A10 rack has the hardware to pass 4 channels of audio from a single slot. the 8 XLRs on the back of the unit would bear that out.

i also suspect that the Dante board in the A10 rack only supports 8 channels, so there isnt any scope for additional channels there.

please also note, i am using the word belief to indicate that i do not know for sure, i am just a guy that uses the stuff, and occasionally remembers stuff from the manual.

if you want a definitive answer to your questions, the Audio Ltd and Sound Devices will be the best people to ask. they are lovely people and are generally pretty quick at getting back to you with technical questions.

good luck

9 hours ago, yizhye20 said:

I was looking at the PSC 6 pack. Not sure If I can determinate how which channel can transfer from the Superslot and which one can go with the top panel.  

This totally answers my question.

Page 14 of the MCR54 manual suggests, that you can assign RX1 - RX4 analog or AES1/2, AES3/4 to any of the outputs, AUX on top, main on the base.

The base (DB25 connector on the SLK54-IK) will output only 2 channels of analog audio, so you end up with some cabling on your rack front with either system, if analog audio is your desired output signal.

Edit: If you need analog signals, you might get rid of the top AUX cables with an Aja ADA4 for each MCR54 and passing the AES pairs through the electric connections of the DB25 inputs to the XLR outputs. on any of the PSC or the A10 system.
Again, this is theory. Contact PSC/Sounddevices, as Rich suggests.

19 hours ago, DanieldH said:

Page 14 of the MCR54 manual suggests, that you can assign RX1 - RX4 analog or AES1/2, AES3/4 to any of the outputs, AUX on top, main on the base.

The base (DB25 connector on the SLK54-IK) will output only 2 channels of analog audio, so you end up with some cabling on your rack front with either system, if analog audio is your desired output signal.

Edit: If you need analog signals, you might get rid of the top AUX cables with an Aja ADA4 for each MCR54 and passing the AES pairs through the electric connections of the DB25 inputs to the XLR outputs. on any of the PSC or the A10 system.
Again, this is theory. Contact PSC/Sounddevices, as Rich suggests.

Raycom mention using an MCR54 with an Octopack - similar perhaps? 

1 hour ago, DanieldH said:

Two PSC RF 4 Packs + ADA4 might be less expensive and compact, if you do not need Dante.

The RF 4 Pack has been working great for me.  The thing is not big at all even in my bag so I wouldn't hesitate to use a couple on a cart.  Give PSC a shot via phone or email though about AES out via Wisycom on the normal TA3 channels, you might be pleasantly surprised that it works fine on their other products.  Please excuse the dust on the photo, was after a windy desert shoot!

fourpack.jpeg

On 4/21/2021 at 1:56 PM, DanieldH said:

Two PSC RF 4 Packs + ADA4 might be less expensive and compact, if you do not need Dante. Though it is not optimised for a rack setup.

Where?

Daniel, my apologies. It must have been wishful thinking as I can't find the reference to octopack working with MCR54. 😔