Wingman 688 Sound Devices file missing Sandisk

JGW

Hi everyone I'm throwing this at you and I hope someone has anything for me, you guys have been my heroes for some time already:

I used for the second time an app that controls my Sound Devices 688 recorder via bluetooth from my Ipad, where  you can label files, tracks etc, very useful, called Wingman ( helps you get chicks)

I labeled a file that got split due to size the same way as the previous one while recording (since I have my recorderset to split the file once it exceeds 4gbs) and then the 4gb file dissapeared leaving the smaller file second file which remained on the cards. 

I called Sound Devices and they said the file should be there, so I tried few things that they told me to do and it was still not there, such as renaming the file that remained in both CF and SD cards

Now I have tried disk grill and scanned all files.  I'm not too familiar with these programs ( I use mac) but I know these programs they can hopefully find the metadata to trace back the first file which was the long one and the one that got subsituted with the second one that in reality precedes the first file. When I ran Disk Grill it found the file that I renamed which in essence it's the same file that remained in both cards ( mmm interesting...)

The audio from the file from both cards,  starts abruptly which is a sign that there was a first file ahead of it and it just jumped to splitting the file. Anyhow it went missing and it got me worried and frazzled . I believe I changed the name while rolling, I heard many theories that being the last one which I will NEVER DO AGAIN!

It's super strange and I am trying to find a solution asap , this is the first time in 15 years mixing I've had something similar but I suppose there's always a first time for everything.

My question to you guys: Do you know anyone who went through professional  data retrievers SD or CF cards or have you ever had something similar when it comes to video or Audio  and how did you try to work things out to retrieve data? I've tried many things out so I'm a little concerned it got overwritten, can a file be recovered on an SD if it got lost or overwritten. Mixed messages of faith and lots of scams out there makes this a tricky one.

I have faith that the file is still there to be honest, it can't really be happening! 4gb are in some weird black hole of 1's and zeroes in both SD cards or CF cards. I love the universe just I find the Blackholes a little overwhelming.

When I labeled the file at first I saw a + sign on the name of file and that was the last time I saw it. I recorded the entire day since I figured out at towards end.

The audio came pretty clean in the camera, so that scratch track could be a saver but it's just not the way to see 4gb disappear, I need an answer, cause  it does not make much sense even if you are that geek that knows everything about SD or CF cards.

Anyone out there with any info or sharing similar issues, audio data recovery, Sandisk data architecture, why the moon is white and that whole thing about the waves please I'd love to hear you. 

I want that file back!

😊

I don't have an answer to your question but I do know that when it comes to data recovery, the more times you access the card, the harder it is to retrieve missing data, so I would not load the card up again into anything until you have a plan or choice of software to use.

I also know from the fb forums that the combination of wingman and renaming files in the 6 series seems to *sometimes* cause the missing file error, which SD is unable to replicate on their end.