FX9 Sony - No Ch1 - help

Hi everybody,

i am contacting you because i am in a shoot where we use a sony FX9 (and FX6 as a A cam with no problem) and the problem is the following : 

We need to put audio in input 1 with Channel 1 and there is literally no option to set it.

How to fix this?
See the picture below. The first option is greyed out. There is no external option for Channel 1.

The DOP can't help and i set on the right of the camera the channel to "ext" and not "mi shoe". I am hoping someone ran into this problem maybe already. 

Never saw a camera in my life that is litteraly not proposing you options for channel 1...

Thanks

IMG_1399.JPG

I worked with an FX9 last week with the same issue.

The owner had been in contact with Sony about it and said that Sony was working on a remedy.

Apparently, it doesn't make a difference. If you set the switches where they should be, you'll get external audio on Channel 1, despite what the menu says.

Simple enough to test and my shoot went fine, no complaints from post.

@acdave, thanks. So i should try to set it to Ext, no to worry about MI shoe selection and see if i get any signal?

In the meantime i saw also that its possible to choose input 1 for Ch3 as well. Which is annoying but can work.

• 3 weeks later...

Because we are generally there to tell the DOP how their camera does sound...

but you're just trolling, right?

I had this same issue on an FX9 last week.  It has the weirdest, most non intuitive audio input menu setup I think I've ever seen on a camera, and that's saying something...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently worked on a commercial shoot with a single FX9.  Same issue with the Ch1 Shoe being unchangeable in the menu. Set the physical

switches to where they should be for 2 channel line level input and I heard proper split track audio on playback.  The meters responded to what

I was sending during recording as well.  

• 4 weeks later...

This is an interesting problem. If you get a chance again flip those switches on the side a few times and see if anything changes. I looked at my menu and it looks like that with no options on channel 1. Ch1 is special because it can also be sent to Ch2. Ch2 audio can't be sent to Ch1. 

Two different FX9's two different shoots same issue. Glad for your comment in particular acdave that there were no complaints from post. Set my 633 to bounce one of the channels when sending tone and both input 1 and 2 on the camera were showing correct (iso) VU's and when listening to camera with headphones my tone was clean both channels. It's just the menu saying shoe input on one and can not proceed to change it to input one. Seems to be some bad code that Sonny Boy needs to fix but the physical switches appear to route sound fine even if it doesn't say so.

F6521B91-1890-462C-BC98-1B2B9EE41A9C.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Just shot for a week with this camera and had the same issue. Also, I couldn’t adjust levels. The side level dials did nothing. (Everything set to manual, etc.) Don’t think I missed a menu setting, but who knows…

just a scratch track, so no worries. Had timecode and slated. But it all sounded good on playback. 

• 2 months later...

It’s a feature, not a bug! 🙃 The folks noticing the XLR camera audio on CH1 works normaly as long as the hard switches are set to EXT are correct. See my “solution” below 👇

I aslo had this “issue” after an update but when I looked closely at the audio menu I realized we may be missunderstanding what that menu item is doing. 

That menu item does not change the source of audio CH 1 (only the hard switches on the side of the cam do that). 

The item is labeled “CH1 MI SHOE INPUT SELECT” which is something you would only change IF you were using the shoe. 
If you look down 2 settings you see “CH2 MI SHOE INPUT SELECT” which will also be greyed out.

This is confusing because in between these settings is “CH2 EXT INPUT SELECT” where you can duplicate CH1 > CH2 if you have the hard switches set to EXT on the side of the cam. Similar to the MI SHOE menu items, this menu item will only change the EXTERNAL input for CH2 and is not a input type selector. 

You can change inputs 3&4 via these menus between EXT/INT/SHOE/WIRELESS but CH1 and CH2 source types are changed via the hard switches on the side of the body and not in the menu. 

I'm using an fx9 and wonder if anyone can help. I'm using the sony module on the M shoe to get 4 x channels of audio. I've tuned my radio mics to local free frequencies but i'm getting an intermittent loud 'white noise' / static interference. Any thoughts? I'm a film-maker / DP mostly doing my own sound.. 

• 7 months later...

I'm so happy - in an ironic way - that I've found this thread!  I have an FX9 that I've shot with for almost a year and suddenly yesterday on a shoot the CH1 input greyed-out "shoe" thing was going on!  And I'm on v3 firmware or whatever the most recent 2022 version is.  DID ANYONE FIGURE OUT WHAT IS CAUSING THIS??  I've gone through every menu option I can find and nothing - even hard reset of the camera - has fixed this.  I guess I"ll call sony and they'll tell me to pay them a fortune to look at it and I'll be without the camera for weeks...

• 2 months later...

I ran into this yesterday and was freakin similar to above replies, but luckily someone on set knew the camera well and despite what the menu says, i can confirm the hardware switches when set properly at the side of the camera gave me split tracks and meters. Whoa what a weird choice of wording in a menu

• 2 weeks later...

Issue  I have been encountering lately with a network camera that has the uni slot adapter installed on fx9, is when ch 1 and ch2 are both set to “wireless”

only ch1 Left Identifier tone is bouncing to both channels, no split. SRC receiver is seeing separate channels. Everything is correct at SRC end. If I use a hard wire or outboard mounted receiver I can split channels. Anyone else encountering this issue?

• 8 months later...

Hi, I've clips from fx9 and i don't understand the tracks , it appears all the HF are on ch1 mixed with the external micro, ch2 seems to bé only the external mic but very low and ch3 seems to be exactly the same than ch1 , and nothing on ch4 .... is that normal? or misconfiguration or bugs of the camera ?