Lectrosonics upgrade advice

Blocktek

My 2 Lectrosonics 411/400 Block 22 systems have been very dependable workhorses for many years in the San Francisco Bay Area. For the past year, most of my work has been boom only, due to COVID safety constraints. 

Now my work is picking up again, I'm vaccinated, and my clients are once again getting comfortable with me placing wireless lavalier microphones. I feel like I'm coming out of hibernation. I've gotten caught unexpectedly several times recently when there have been NO open frequencies in my block. All of these experiences were in outdoor locations, mostly on the peninsula. I can see that I need to enter the present day and upgrade my systems.

I'm looking at an A1 SrC receiver. I use a Sound Devices 833, and the idea of getting a slot adapter at some point down the road is very attractive. I rarely have a need for more than two mics, but four seems like a good idea for adaptability and versatility. I'd probably start with 2 transmitters/1 SrC, backed up by my 411s, and sell those down the road to buy a second SrC system. My confusion is over transmitters. I think my choice is between the LT and the LMb. I like the feature set of the LT, particularly the option to bump the output power, but they seem rather bulky. Most of my work is talking head corporate interviews, but occasionally I do dramatic and documentary work. Maybe the transmitter size isn't all THAT critical. I also really like the idea of being able to remotely change frequency, either via IR or dweedle tone. My system is based on 9volts batteries now - I realize I'll need to adapt to AAs.

At the risk of sounding massively uninformed, what would you folks recommend? Honestly, I haven't needed to worry about my wireless systems for years, as they just worked. Are there other transmitters I should be looking at? Thanks for any and all advice.

Look at the UCR822 as well for a more advanced two channel receiver. 

Which transmitter really depends on a lot of things. Do you prioritize size or battery life mainly. Want to stay on the legacy analog digital hybrid system or try out their new all digital stuff?

19 minutes ago, Derek H said:

Look at the UCR822 as well for a more advanced two channel receiver. 

If you think you honestly are only going to be using two transmitters, the UCR822 with the new digital lectro SM transmitters would be what I would do.  Won't be "cheap" but buy once, cry once.

If you think you might want more than two channels down the road, then maybe look at snagging a used SRc A1 and some matching A1 SM transmitters as you can't go wrong with the 400 series lectros.

5 hours ago, codyman said:

If you think you honestly are only going to be using two transmitters, the UCR822 with the new digital lectro SM transmitters would be what I would do.  Won't be "cheap" but buy once, cry once.

If you think you might want more than two channels down the road, then maybe look at snagging a used SRc A1 and some matching A1 SM transmitters as you can't go wrong with the 400 series lectros.

I second this. Digital is the future. Also, I would stay away from the L series as far as talent transmitters. I love lectro but the LT is too bulky and can't do 250mW and the LMb can only do 50mW (maybe that's fine for your style of jobs). I was going to go all wideband but instead, most of my transmitters are regular SMQv's and most of my receivers are wideband, which gives me enough flexibility. I can always change the block on my receiver and pick a new transmitter if I need (I have 11 talent transmitters).

7 hours ago, Blocktek said:

I'm looking at an A1 SrC receiver. I use a Sound Devices 833, and the idea of getting a slot adapter at some point down the road is very attractive. I rarely have a need for more than two mics, but four seems like a good idea for adaptability and versatility. I'd probably start with 2 transmitters/1 SrC, backed up by my 411s, and sell those down the road to buy a second SrC system. My confusion is over transmitters. I think my choice is between the LT and the LMb. I like the feature set of the LT, particularly the option to bump the output power, but they seem rather bulky. Most of my work is talking head corporate interviews, but occasionally I do dramatic and documentary work. Maybe the transmitter size isn't all THAT critical. I also really like the idea of being able to remotely change frequency, either via IR or dweedle tone. My system is based on 9volts batteries now - I realize I'll need to adapt to AAs.

The LT also has the benefit of  being controllable by tweedle tone, but the LMb isn't. From my perspective, that's the key reason to get a LT over a LMb. 

Do you know about the DCR822? As you're a current user of the UCR411 then that might interest you, it's the same size as the 411 and is Lectrosonic's latest receiver. 

If you're doing regular drama work, then you will definitely need smaller transmitters than the LT/LMb. 

7 hours ago, Blocktek said:

At the risk of sounding massively uninformed, what would you folks recommend? Honestly, I haven't needed to worry about my wireless systems for years, as they just worked.

Although your thread is focused on Lectrosonics, if you want to consider other wireless then I'd suggest also checking out Wisycom MCR54:
https://www.trewaudio.com/product/wisycome-mcr54-promo/
And if you can wait a little longer, then later this year Shure will be bringing out their Axient Digital Superslot receiver. 

I would recommend you get a DSQD it’s 4 channels digital or hybrid with Dante or AES

and built in antenna distribution.

2 - SRC Kits with adapters, cables,

antenna distribution or SL-2   5k- 8K depending on what you get. Also, only one band A1 or B1 

2- 822  7k plus antenna distro and cable cost

1- DSQD  about 5k it’s not as small as two 822 but probably the same size as 2 SRC with an SL-2 and SL-2 is not a stand alone unit. 

Totally depends on what kind of work this person is doing. If you want just a few solid wires in a small doc bag 822 or SRc might be the best choice even if you need a couple of them.  You don’t need to worry about things like antenna distribution for that kind of setup. 

2 minutes ago, Blocktek said:

Yeah, I think antenna distro is overkill for most of the work I do. Although the 822 is a nice looking piece of gear, I'm pretty sold on the size and price of the SRc. 

Just get a used SRc A1 with two A1 transmitters (I'd get SM series A1).  If you keep your eye out they pop up for sale with decent frequency.

If you don’t need antenna distribution then the 822 is probably the better choice. I personally have never seen a mixer bag with  

two or more SRC without antenna distribution. 

But I think the value and future proof way to go is a DSQD 

8 minutes ago, FrankH said:

If you don’t need antenna distribution then the 822 is probably the better choice. I personally have never seen a mixer bag with  

two or more SRC without antenna distribution. 

But I think the value and future proof way to go is a DSQD 

Yeah but DSQD in a bag is a little cumbersome though isn't it?

Just out of curiosity have you considered trying out a brand like wisycom?

If frequency coordination or lack of open RF is your biggest problem, they definitely do the best out of any brand (I say that as a Lectro and Zaxcom user).

Also will just note that the future request of most talent probably will be miniature wireless (Lectro SM, Zaxcom ZMT) etc, so I definitely wouldn't recommend LT in that sense.