MD21 on a boom and shockmounts

Olle Sjostrom

So, the radio station that I work at are using MD21s for daily reporting. Due to a certain virus we mount them to a boom pole. It's not the right mic for sitting on a boom, I know, but 

Reporters like them and most importantly  they are used to them.

They don't break easily and a number of other reasons. 

Anyway. They screw on directly to the boom which is obviously making a lot of noise. 

My first instinct is to just put a mkh50 on it inside a zeppelin. But that'd be too heavy. And we don't have any 50s. Or any other good equivalent mics. Small Condenser mics and radio aren't really pals. Though they should. 

My question is if there's something like an Ambient floater? They are discontinued.. 

Or is there any other gadget I could use that I might have missed..?

Wow - 99 dollars the Neumann - I’ve seen everything (tho with Neumann i’ve seen it all before I guess)

the Smallrig (images) of the shock absorbers with (seemingly and hopefully) 3/8” (+ camera) threads look interesting to me ... I've collected several of the old rycote absorbers over the years but now it’s easy to pick up M5 (and M3) absorbers which can work with the - also sadly discontinued (older) - rycote modular bars: cheers Dan, I’ll look into those

hmm, actually 99 bucks for anything Neumann seems genuinely cheap in retrospect!

Heh, Jez

The MD21 has an odd shape (like the MD421) so  traditional mounts for 'our' shotgun and pencil type mics or even for hand-held performance mics will not fit.

If the '21' is same size and /or uses the same captive mount slot as the venerable MD421 tom-tom mic, this should work,
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MZS421--sennheiser-md-421-shockmount

There are large 421 shock mounts as well for radio host booms.

Thanks Rick! The md21 is indeed odd. We 3d printed a part to just hold the mic, but there's no real way of hanging it in rubber bands or so. That said, 3D,printing might be a rabbit hole to venture into. Venturing into changing mics is probably even harder.

And the mic is used in a boom during interviews or for OB. The backpack we use for broadcasting is pretty awesome tech, but that's another thread.